Using power amp channel #2 for vocals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wademeister63, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    I have my power amp bridged using both channels to drive a single cab from a single preamp, but I've been thinking of adding a second preamp for a mic and using both channels of the poweramp seperately. That's a workable deal for my QSC RMX1450 isn't it? I usually play the bass through a single 15" avatar cab, but I have a 210 cab I could hook up if needed. If I get the preamp for the vocals, would either of my cabs work well for PA duty? Or both of them together?
    I don't want to have to buy a whole new batch of stuff if what I have will get me most of the way there.
  2. Yes it would work for your vocals, but would probably not give you the sound that your looking for, because of the cab you're using. But it would get you by for a while if you needed to.

Nice to see another DFW guy as well.
  3. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

As long as the preamps, channels and speakers are seperate there is no problem, I have done that in many cases, it is a real good solution for rehearsing and in small venues.
  4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A couple of times at gigs and practices I've had to un-bridge the power amp in my rig and run it in stereo because of a problem in the PA mains or monitors. As long as you still have enough power for both things, you're fine.
  5. buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Use the 210 for vocals and 15 for bass... should be an acceptable rig 'til it can grow up.
  6. Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Cool stuff, thanks.

So far we're just playing some small places and haven't even had a "House PA" to hook up to as far as I've seen. Our (ex)guitarist was actually too loud playing his hotrod deluxe amp with it's single 12" speaker.

Next question:
    What kind of preamp can I get cheap that's still decent? I was thinking the Pre Sonus Tube Pre if I can find it and it is rack mountable. That's something like $90.00 if I'm thinking of the one I looked at a while back. Are there better choices?
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i'd look for a used mini board. Behringer made/makes? a 4 channel one (yes i know, but hey, no B wars kids, OK). That would do ya a lot better than a single channel preamp.

Another ghetto option would be to get an adapter for your mic cord to convert it from low impedance xlr to high impedance 1/4". Then you can plug into any preamp (even an eq stompbox) and run the output of that into the poweramp. (yes i know it's super ghetto, but if you already own a pedal like that it can cut it in a pinch).

anyhow, as everyone else has said, using channel 2 for vocals is fine, unless bridged, the 2 channels of a poweramp are totally independant. The big weak link will be the cabinet you put it thru. I'd use a cab with a tweeter if you have one.