Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using power cond. as on/off

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jonasp, Sep 21, 2004.

1. I was wondering about using a power conditioner. What I mean is, i have my preamp and power amp plugged into my power conditioner. When i am done playing, could I just shut off my power conditoner? or do would you recommend shutting off all the components individually then the conditioner(ive been doing this)? I would think shutting it off like that might be rough on my gear, like diconnecting it from power, but it makes sense to just use the conditioner as an on/off switch for your whole rig.

TIA, Pete

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Depends. Some conditioners have switched timed outlets, so you can set it so the power amp comes on last and powers off first, to avoid loud pops through your speakers. If you have such a conditioner, go ahead and use it as a master on/off.

Otherwise, use the switch on the power amp for it's on/off state, and the conditioner switch for everything else. Remember, power amp on last, off first.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    My rig is all through my power conditioner. I have a Trace Elliot RAH350SMX head, ART Nightbass processor, and Korg DTR-1 tuner. The ART unit does not have a power switch so it has to be switched through the conditioner. Mine isn't timed but I don't have any "thumps" or "pops" coming through the cab. No problems so far.

4. My conditioner is a Furman RP-8, so i dont think its timed. Thats easy enough, power my conditioner, turn on the amp. turn off the amp, turn off my conditioner. Cool, thanks for the help.

5. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Power Amp = Manual On/Off

Everything else just use power strip as master On/Off

Example:

Power Up - Flip on the power strip with every gizmo attached to it, including the Power Amp.
    Except the Power Amp is kept off so you can Flip on Power Amp last.

Power Down - Turn off Amp First. Then turn off power strip with gizmo's left On.