Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using Poweramps??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris3142, Jul 29, 2004.

1. I just picked up an Ampeg 8x10 and I'd like to give it some more power without buying a new head. Is there anyway I can connect my Ampeg B2R to a power amp and give my 8x10 some more strength?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep. It shoudl have an XLR out on the back of it. Plug that into the input of the Poweramp.

Then, turn the master volume all the way down, and use the gain knob as a your volume.

That's how I do it on my Eden/Carvin rig.

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Oh yeah... definately possible. In fact, I'm doing it with my rig currently with the same exact head. Ampeg B2R running into a QSC RMX1450 running parallel.

You can use the balanced (XLR) line. I tried that first, but I ended up just using the Preamp Out (1/4") jack instead. The tone you get is a little clearer, at least to my ear.... and when you run it unbalanced, its a little easier to use the FX Loop and such.

However, the Balanced line is a lot simpler... due to the fact that you only have to use the Power Amp's gain knobs to control your output... rather than using the B2R's Gain and Master as well. I honestly dont have a problem with it though.

But.... yeah... you can use the B2R as a preamp only. It'll save you lots of money, as an alternative to purchasing a new head thats designed more for the 8x10 (likely the SVT-CL or the SVT4-Pro). Look into QSC and Crown.