Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using powertab to work out your favourite SNES/Mega drive tunes etc..

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by yoshi, Dec 31, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all (note: same post as in recordings).

This applies to all musicians, specifically those who are familiar with tab (but also with notation hence the 'all msuician tag!).

Ever heard a killer snes tune but just can't work it out by ear? Well I figured out a way to use a program to work them out for you!

Step 1: You'll need a midi file of the track - these are easily available accross the interent.

Step 2: Download a tab editing program named 'powertab' (www.powertab.net I think - this is a legally free program).

Step 3: Go to file > import > import midi > select the midi file

Step 4: follow the instructions in the steps (assigning treble instrumenst to gtr staff and bass to bass staff).

Step 5: Out pops a fully playable tabbed versionof the song. You can export/print this file as tab or even notation!

Just thought I'd share that as I was pretty amazed when I discovered it by accident

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yep... 'cept I do it with Guitar Pro.

Mmmmm... guitar pro.

I know some Emulators will spit out a midi file for you. I've done it with 8 bit nintendo games and the Nesticle emulator. :bassist: