Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using preamp to drive a pair of heaphones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kurisu, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    I wonder, has anyone tried this before?
    What would I need to do in order to make a preamp (say the db680) power a pair of headphones? I'm sure the preamp out has more than enough power to drive a pair of cans, so should I just get a 1/4" male to female and somehow split the mono signal into both L and R channels?

I ask because Aguilar didn't add a heaphone out... And that seems strange to me.
    The other alternative is just to run the preamp into my computer and then listen on the heaphone out of that. But I'd like to keep path as simple as possible.

Thanks!

2. I don´t think it will work. I don´t know the tech talk, but there is level and impedance mismatch I think. You´ll get some sound, but it will be very quiet and thin.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    won't work - sorry

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    The preamp output won't have enough output to drive the headphones. Headphone outputs on units have a curcuit board in many cases to boost the output level. I used a peanut tube in mine to do the same thing because I didn't want printed circuit boards in it.

If you just really want to get this to work, you might be able to go to radio shack, etc. and find some type of adaptor for headphones to plug into.....

5. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Get a Rolls headphone monitor. It has a line input for your bass and a stereo line in for PA feed or CD player. Plenty of gain and sounds great.

6. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Ah well, it was worth a try. :)
    I guess I'll go through the computer.
    Thanks everyone!

7. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    That's a good idea too... Thanks!