Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using preamp with my nemesis combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frankosaurus, Jul 26, 2004.

1. frankosaurus

frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    Hi, I've been using a 200w Eden Nemesis 2x10 combo for several years now and I'm looking to get a rack system to get some more volume and headroom.

my intention is to eventually get a preamp, power amp, compressor, and a couple of speaker cabs.

I tried a few preamps today... ampeg svp-cl and alembic fx-1 which both sounded good.

I don't want to spend all my money at once, so I was wondering if it's possible to buy the preamp first and run it through my combo amp. I was thinking I could connect the preamp output to the Effects Return plug on my nemesis. Will this work and is it okay to do this? Would I need to use a special cable? I don't want to screw up the combo amp since I like it a lot.

thanks,
    Frank

2. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Hi FRank

I have the same combo. I have run preamps through it, just like you suggested through the effects return. It works just fine.

What I run all the time is an outboard preamp into the combo's preamp and it boosts the signal quite a bit, making a big improvement in the volume and overall tone.

I ran a Sadowsky, currently using the floor model. I have the belt clip model as well. You might be able to run a rack mount preamp direct into the preamp on the combo with equally good results.

3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    like bmc said, both running into the effects return and straight into the combo's input will work just fine

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You could do that, but I would recommend getting a cab first and using it with your combo. Just adding a preamp wont increase your volume, but adding a cab now will.

Next Id get a power amp and going from your Nemesis effects send to the poweramp into the new cab. That will increase your volume again.

Then if you are not happy with your tone Id recommend getting the preamp.

Personally, I think the tone from the Nemesis preamp is great, but its not for everyone.

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Downside with running an extension speaker off of a Nemesis is the additional cab will be un in series and you will not have a noticeable increase in power or volume.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive run an extension cab off my Nemesis combo and I noticed an increase. It wasnt dramatic, but it was there.

With a preamp, you will gain no volume.

7. frankosaurus

frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    thanks for the info guys. this is exactly what I needed.

nick... I like the nemesis preamp tone a lot. If there were an easy way to extract the preamp from the rest of the unit I would do it to save money. On the other hand, if I can find a preamp with a BETTER tone out there, I'll go for it.

--Frank

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I went from using a Nemesis combo to getting an Eden preamp and Im pretty happy.

You could also just use your combo plus a power amp and cab.