1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using previous seller's pics in classifieds

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jimc, Sep 23, 2010.

1. jimc

jimc

Sep 17, 2002
    New Carsmell, CA
    Anybody else feel that it's polite to ask before re-using a seller's pics? I sold a bass a couple months ago and the new owner now has it in the classifieds with the price increased over what was paid and links to my original pics.

I can't decide whether to be annoyed and delete my online pics or not. WWYD?

2. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    Since it is not their property (the pics), I believe someone should first ask as a courtesy.
    If you took really nice pics then you are benefiting him with the selling process.
    We know the difference that nice pics can make in presentig something for sale.

3. Personally I would delete the pics so they can't be linked. I wouldn't buy a bass off previous owner pics. Things could have changed. Permission should at least be asked IMHO.

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    it doesn't matter!!! it's a "community" forum. a link is free on the net. most former owners give BUMPS to guys they did deals with and you would rather hinder the process. if it bothers you then yes,... DELETE THEM!!!
    (imho)

btw, links to the OP/pix seems pretty normal around here. (i have done it along with current pix)

5. jimc

jimc

Sep 17, 2002
    New Carsmell, CA
    Kinda hard to give a bump when they're increasing the original price and stating 'no lowballers' when they offered less than the asking on the original sale. Yeah I know I shouldn't have accepted the offer if I wasn't satisfied but using a direct link to an online album without asking is rude in my opinion. Taking your advice I have removed the pics.

6. Life's too short to be this petty.. I would care less if a new owner used my pix..

I hate taking pix.. especially when the ones from the prior owner are better.

==---

I do think it's ethical to note the pix are not current

7. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    Don't forget that the "asking" price is almost never the actual selling price.

Not sure why anyone would really be caught up in what happens to a bass after it's sold. It's gone. Whatever happens, happens. No regrets. Worrying about that stuff is just gonna drive you crazy.

I suppose there could be someone around TB trying to buy low and then turn around and quickly sell high. And, you know, it's a free market, etc. - more power to them if they make it happen in this buyer's market, where margins of profit (after PayPal fees and all the shipping expenses) are going to be minimal, anyway.

But, really, most of what I see going on (including in my case, sometimes) is a bunch of people trying out stuff, quickly deciding they don't want it, and then selling in an attempt to get out of the bass or amp what they just paid for it.

And to do that, you usually have to post a price that's a little bit higher than what you expect to get, no?

As far as pix - again, free market. If the item was JUST purchased and the new seller is certain nothing has changed, then why not use the fresh, good pix? Most guys here on TB are happy to help the new seller move that item, rather than being resentful than it's being sold so soon.

Now if the item was sold YEARS ago, then, yeah, that's a bit misleading.

8. jimc

jimc

Sep 17, 2002
    New Carsmell, CA
    You guys are right. Life is too short to worry about this stuff. It has made me aware that I have a bunch of pics online with 'access all areas' that I need to either remove or make private!

However, if I do want to use someone else's pics, I will ask first but that's just me.

9. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    Since I am unable to use a camera, I use previous pics whenever possible. Not only do I always ask first, I also give credit to the shooter. IMO, It's a good way for humans to act.

10. RonSound

RonSound Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 24, 2008
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    If the condition of the item is the same as when it was last purchased, I wouldn't care.

Had a similar issue with a Danelectro neck I was selling on ebay. I used the previous seller's pics and he threw a fit about it, saying it was going to cause confusion to his sellers (he sells/sold a lot of Dano parts). I felt that since the pics in question were of this particular neck, which he no longer owned, it wasn't hurting anybody.

I'd still do it again.

11. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I had a seller who used the previous description in his ad for a Sadowsky I bought. It read "like new condition". After I received it I did a very quick inspection and found a dent in the poly finish. A dent. That's not "like new condition". I still left good feedback because the transaction was perfect otherwise and he admitted to using the old description.

I'm a professional photographer and I could argue with you all day about photo usage rights. The internet blurred (no pun) all the lines between copyright and fair usage. With everyone owning some sort of digital capture device (phone, pocket camera, etc.) there is no reason not to rephotograph an item. It's only fair to all parties involved.

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Doesn't bother me. The other day I was scrolling through the Classifieds and clicked on a link. There was one of my old basses, with the pics I had originally posted. Didn't bother me in the least. Maybe my pics were better than his.

I do agree that if anything has changed with the condition, that should be mentioned.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021