1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using Proline Fretboard Conditioner? (Residue??)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LowStringNinja, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Anyone use this stuff that GC carries? Maybe I'm not doing it right...It's leaving a lot of residue along the grain..am I using too much?
    And why am I using a fretboard conditioner after 27 years of never 'conditioning' my fretboards ever? Who knows...
    proline.jpg

2. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    That doesn't look normal. I would try to clean it all off if you can. I doubt it will hurt anything, but it shouldn't show up as an accumulation in the pores like that. Possibly it is reacting with some previously applied oil or cleaner?

If I use any oil at all, I use just the slightest amount of mineral oil. I use such a tiny amount on a small cotton patch, that I have to rub it a bit to get it onto the fretboard. Looks nice and is virtually dry when done.

Opinions vary a lot on this subject.

-

LowStringNinja likes this.
  3. Thanks. I think I over-did it then...this product is mineral oil. I don't know why they call it lemon oil...it doesn't have any lemons in it at all. It's mostly mineral oil, and some castor oil.

4. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    Most lemon oil is just mineral oil and a lemon scent (and possibly a cleaning solvent).

If the residue is stubborn, try a soft brush and some naphtha (Ronsinol lighter fluid). Soak it up immediately with some paper towels as you brush. Naphtha is safe on virtually any finish. You want to soak it up right away so it doesn't run off and leave the residue behind elsewhere on the neck.

-

LowStringNinja likes this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021