Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using rentals

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by elvinstheman, Jun 28, 2005.

1. elvinstheman

elvinstheman

Jun 16, 2005
    Seattle, USA
    I'm new to DB (though an old hand at EB) and I got a 7/8 size Christopher. I'll probably never have to worry about this, but is it hard to use a rental bass if you're used to 7/8 since most are probably 3/4? Do jazz DB players often use rentals at all, or do most travel with their own axes? Seems like that would be hard for all but the most high-level jazz players.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    The size of the Bass and the string length are 2 different things. Newer 7/8ths Basses are 42" SL. Older 3/4 can be 43"SL so you cant really compare.

If you learn the Dragonetti on a 40" SL and then rent a 42" cello shouldered Bass to perform you will have a problem. Short of that I doubt the size will be any more a problem than the difference of set-up between two Basses the same size let alone a 3/4.

3. No problem.

When I say "no problem" I should have mention that you have to state in the contract that you want a carved bass, and bridge adjusters and the strings that you want. An ebony, dressed finger board. etc. You should bring your own strings in case and, of course, your favorite pick-up.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    The harder issue is what constitues a "good" bass at your destination. If the gig is in NY, you have a good chance of playing a nice bass when you get there. If it's...er...somewhere else (don't want to offend anyone), you might be in for some pain.

It's why I bought an EUB.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's even hard for the most high level bassists. Backline rentals of DB's are a real crapshoot, so some suck it up and take their own basses, even though it's a big pain. others depend on rentals, and in that situation, you pretty much take what you can get.

6. I heard Eddie Gomez did a tour a few years ago using basses loaned or rented in whichever city he happened to be appearing in.

I just did a gig in Lincoln, Nebraska, this past weekend. I rarely play out of town, so I used a bass provided for me. Felt weird the first few minutes of the rehearsal, but I got used to it pretty quickly (it was an old Roth hybrid). I couldn't do everything on it that I do on my regular bass, but it didn't go badly.