1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

using rickenbacker 4003 for recording

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hambone1, Sep 19, 2008.

1. hambone1

hambone1

Sep 13, 2006
    What has been you guys experience recording with the 4003 bass? Do you need compression etc. to make it sound good or ...?

Thanks.

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My experience is plug in, put the headphones on, and play. The engineer took care of all the particulars. Not sure what kind of mojo was involved, but it sounds fantastic!

3. I've only done live recording with my Ric basses but they always sounded great to me.

4. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I used my 4003 on two track of the last CD my band did. It seemed we had to EQ that bass more than the others I used, but the results were great.

Ironically enough the same 4003 provided the most "clanky" & most "boomy" tone on the two tracks on which it was used. You'd have never guessed it was the same bass!

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    It's pretty standard practice to apply some degree of compression whenever you're recording bass... regardless of what axe you're playing.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    If it's for real recording, the engineer will do it all, otherwise, if you're doing a home recording, just plug and play. It's a great recording bass.

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
  8. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Often (not always) a bass will be recorded raw, and then a compressor added to it after the fact. Gives the engineers more options in mixdown. It is pretty common practice to use a compressor on bass, live or in a studio.
    Some just do it out of habit :)