1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

using Sansamp Bass Driver as a preamp...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by King Weapon, Jun 17, 2016.

1. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey all! While I've always used the pedal as a stompbox when I need to fatten up my tone, I wanted to try and use my Sansamp as a preamp (with an SVT3 pro that's laying around the studio), but am confused on how to do this. I understand that I need to plug the 1/4 Output into the Effects Loop Return. But do I then need to plug the bass into the SVT3 input or Sansamp input? Does anything go into the Effects Loop Send?

Forgive my ignorance and happy Friday!

2. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    You can do it a bunch of ways. Either as an extra preamp in the effects loop (plus into amp, the "send" to pedal and pedal out to "return"). Or as the only preamp in the effects return (you would just plug into the pedal).

Or as most people do just use it as an pedal in front of your amp.

What specifically are you trying to achieve?

3. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the tips! I'm basically trying to use my Ampeg SVT CL less (reserving it for shows, recordings) to preserve tubes and decrease maintenance. My guitarist used to play bass and has the SVT3 Pro laying around that he said I could use. I'm really not too fond of the tone, so I wanted to use the Sansamp to help mold the tone more. I have used it as a stompbox, but wanted to experiment with different things. Bypassing the SVT3 Pro preamp is something I'm definitely interested in. In that case, I would just plug the Sansamp Output into the Effects Return and just plug into the Sansamp Input? Nothing in the amp input?

Thanks again!

4. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Correct.

torza likes this.
  5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    I'm not familiar with that amp, but if it has a line in, it will be post pre, so you would be using the pedal as the preamp.

torza likes this.
  6. Bubby Brown

Bubby Brown

Oct 10, 2014
    None
    Just run the cord from the bass driver's 1/4 out to the 1/4 preamp in input on the back of svt3 head. That will bypass the ampeg preamp and push the bddi with the power amp section of the head.

7. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I haven't gotten around to trying my Sansamp with the SVT3 (it won't be back in the practice space until next week).

So one more question...the Sansamp is at the end of my pedal chain. Does that change anything in regards to using it as a preamp? Would I still connect the output of the Sansamp into the Effects Return? Nothing in the Effects Send?

8. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Yes

torza and Zooberwerx like this.
  9. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yes.

Feel free to experiment including plugging directly into the front of the SVT...here's why: IMO, the SansAmp products I owned have the tendency to dominate (tone-wise) any slave device downstream. There's a good chance that the Ampeg's tone stack & variable voicings, which are less-than-overwhelming when solo'd, may actually complement that of the SansAmp and provide extended tonal flexibility. I've done this before using a BDDI loaded into the front end of a Hartke 3500. It's certainly worth a try.

Riis

torza likes this.
  10. King Weapon

King Weapon

Sep 20, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks for the tip! I actually really disliked the tone of the SVT3 when I've tried it before, which is why I'd want to bypass the amp's preamp (I love the Sansamp tone and want to keep things as simple as possible). It's definitely worth a shot to try the Sansamp in front of the amp though.

Is there a big volume difference with either way?

11. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Elgin, TX
    torza, I completely agree with you about the BDDI tone! I use mine for tonal shaping on my MB800 and MB500 heads. I set the heads at noon, dial in a tone that I can use for the gig on the BDDI, then tweak it in small increments during the show using the EQ and Contour controls on the head. That has worked out for me in a very satisfying way!

12. Bengerm77

Bengerm77

Sep 10, 2013
    Ventura, CA
    I'm cheap and weak and not picky, I bought a used BDDI and a behringer class d power amp for my bass rig. I just plug my bass into the sansamp, set the level to line out, twist knobs (blend on full as the sansamp is my only tone shaping component), and straight into the behringer. That's it. I've taken my setup to various shows that have provided a backline, and rather than figure out a bass tone on these different amps I just plug into the line in/effects return. I'm using the sansamp as a preamp in this capacity. It's not nearly as flexible as most amps, and it only gives the one sansampy sound, but it works every time.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021