using Sansamp w/PA

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Question: I'm trying to get the best possible sound from the PA, so I've been thinking about the signal I send to it.

The Sansamp has various settings that emulate different amps, but does anyone know if it's supposed to sound like those amps through a full-range PA system, or through a bass amp? A bass amp seriously colors the sound itself, so if I ran the effected signal to my amp, I'm really not emulating the sound of a B15 or SVT, because I'm then changing the sound through my amp and it's cabinet, right? So, if I want to have the same sound through the FOH and my onstage amp, I'm gonna have to run the effected signal from the SSBD to the board, and the unaffected signal to my amp, and just eq my amp the best I can to sound like what's coming out of the PA, correct?

How do you guys get the best sound using the SSBD through a PA? and match that sound with your rig?

See, in short, the problem, as I see it, is that the PA is full-range, and doesn't color the sound much, but my rig, of course, does, cuz it's a bass rig.

2. why cant you just mic up your rig?
  3. I could, but don't have a good mic to use for this. I have a sm57 or sm58 to choose from, and someone said neither of those are good. What would you suggest? I don't really want to have to buy my own $300 mic.

4. Don't listen to those people who told you that the SM57 isn't any good for miking speaker cabs. The Shure SM57 is considered an industry standard for miking drums, guitars and horns and should work fine for bass. The one drawback to miking your rig is that you will not be able to turn your rig up as much as you might like without affecting the PA mix or ticking off the soundman. Use the SANSAMP, they kick butt live!
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It was me who said that over in the amps section, and I'll say it again. If you mic a bass cabinet with a 57, it will sound like crap. Nowhere near as good as a DI signal. Look at the specs on a 57 and observe how it responds to certain frequencies. It was never intended to mic bass cabinets. They sound great on guitars and horns and even cymbals, but never on a bass. They also sound like crap on bass drums, but that is a different story. I challenge you to find any sound tech or engineer of reasonable experience that uses a 57 for bass applications either live or in studio. I don't think you will.

What kind of amp are you using? If you can select between pre and post EQ direct out, you can simply plug into the amp and play through it. Select the DI to pre EQ and send a patch from that signal into the Sansamp.

Doesn't the Sansamp have a parrallel send? I thought it did. IF so, plug into the sans amp and then send one to the amp and one the board.

Use you amp to monitor the stage and fill the front and let the house carry the room. You'll sound great.
  6. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Though pound for pound an awesome value in mics, I agree that the SM57 is not made for bass.

For micing bass cabs, the AKG D-112 seems an industry standard. The Shure 52 could cut it too.

Try going with the setup chasarms suggested, sounds like the way to go.
  7. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

The Sansamp has 3 outputs effected 1/4" and XLR and an uneffected 1/4". So you can send the Sansamped signal to the board and a dry signal to your bass amp without the Sansamp tube emulation and eq if you want (or send effected to both).
  8. if you have an effects loop, go from the sansamp straight to the effects return, and you'll have an the same sound (pretty much) as what's coming thru the PA.
  9. well, bass cab isn't exactly full-range; it has no tweeter. I think I'll send effected signal to the board, and the dry to my rig. We'll see how this sounds this weekend....

10. I have noticed in the past, that when I send the XLR signal to the board, and the effected 1/4" signal to my rig, the soundguy has mentioned that he's getting a weak signal. It could be batteries, but I don't think so (we don't use phantom power). Could it be that the BDDI isn't meant to run both effected signals at the same time?

11. "It was me who said that over in the amps section, and I'll say it again. If you mic a bass cabinet with a 57, it will sound like crap. Nowhere near as good as a DI signal. "

no, YOU think it sounds like crap. I A/B'd an SM57 miked-up Peavey 410 cabinet with the DI signal from my head, and the mike signal was considerably more beefy and lively.
  12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Yes. I think it will sound like crap. Forgive me if I failed internet protocal. But being that there is no scientific value for "crap," if I wrote it then I thought it, and it couldn't be anything more than my opinion.

I am glad you are happy with your sound.
  13. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hey man, have you ever listen to a bass guitar micked (???) with a SM57???? I don´t think so, the sound loses all the BOOM and gets reAAAllyyy honky...... if that´s the sound you like for your bass, well, I admire you.

I think you guys should try the AKG D112 or Sennheiser E602, they are made for "bass" frecuencies like kick drums, bass cabs, tubas etc etc etc......

Ok, the SM57 are really good mics, for guitars, vocals, horns, etc etc etc, not for bass, period. Unless you want to get that specific sound.
  14. Take it easy fellas! Anyway, sure (no pun intended) the SM57 may not be the pinnacle of mics for bass but I've seen it done. I've been miked with a 57 before and I've seen other guys who've been miked by a 57 and it was fine. Is there a better mike out there for miking bass cabs? Yup. Given the choice to go direct or be miked by a 57 I would go DI though. The folks at Shure seem to feel that the SM57 can be used for bass though. Go here:
  15. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Yeah, I've seen that selection guide before, I think they just want to sell as many mics as possible. :p

Hey, know what I heard about Marshall electronics recently? They are coming out with another new condenser real soon that is supposedly geared more towards micing lower end applications. I mean, most all of their mics already have the frequency handling specs for bass, but they are not the sort of mic design one would think of using for bass really. I think the difference on this new mic is it carries a higher SPL rating, has a different response curve, and comes with a tube pre. Even if not for bass, it sounds like it will be another nice addition to their line. Guess we'll have to see.