1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using Self Adeshive Vinyl

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by manicmicky, Oct 23, 2010.

1. manicmicky

manicmicky

Oct 16, 2010
    Please accept my apologies if this is in the wrong thread.

I did this to a pickguard many years ago and have been a huge fan since.
    There is a lot of people out there that love modding on the cheap (me included) and a lot of us cant afford to buy new pickguards, i was on the dreaded ebay the other day and couldnt believe how many designs you can get in vinyl these days, (Metal,Wood,Stone, the list is endless) and ordered some for my affinity bass that i got the other day.
    Put it on and as usual i loved the finished article..
    Dont get me wrong , i would love to able to afford a new pickguard but when your modding i think pickups and pots are more important,you can always spend money on the pickguard at a later stage but why bother when you can have a completely original pickguard which you know fits perfectly.
    Heres mine with the wood effect pickguard.
    2010_1023guitar0010.

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    This is something a lot of cost concious people should look at. Quick, easy, and cheap, looks good

3. Hey, that's cool. I never considered it.

4. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    A much better look than the pickguard I made out of a vinyl floor tile years ago. For some reason I wanted my bass to look like grandma's kitchen back then...

5. tjmdetroit

tjmdetroit

Jan 27, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Yea, and it sticks good too. I heard that 3M invented it cuz nobody could get paint to stick to Jets.... now they are printing on it and are wrapping buses etc. with it! These kids today!
    Here is some samples.. http://www.vinzdecals.com/vinylcolors.html
    Tim

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Looks like you did a great job of applying it. With nice even white edge around the edges too.

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

How hard was it to get the edges so perfect? I'd like to try this with my W/B/W pickguard, and add a black top layer without wrapping the edges.