Using soundforge 5

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BryLMoo, Jul 9, 2004.

1. BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm trying my best to record my bass playing to mini disc, and then transfer it into soundforge to be molded. I'm not too good with the software yet, but i was wondering, can anyone tell me...or atleast give me some instruction on molding the sound to be listenable, and maybe even burnable to a cd for future listening?

Any help would be appreciated =)

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Could you describe your modus operandi, and what's going wrong?
    SF is pretty straightforward and you should be able to burn a CD from within SF.
  3. BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    er, modus operandi? i find that SF is harder to deal with than most think. sure, it's easy to use, quick to understand...but to master? i'm just trying to find someone who can give me some pointers on getting the tone of my bass to sound good in SF...thats all.

i'm playing pretty mellow stuff, with some heavy riffs here and there. i think of my recordings, and playing as a way to relieve stress and relax.

i have a boss bass overdrive pedal that i use sometimes too.

any help? this time, in english please ;)

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Moved to recording gear and equipment for more responses.

PS, I do the same, using soundforge 6. Just get your levels right, dump it in real time (obviously), and from there you can EQ and effect with plug-ins. Sorry my ansewer probably doesn't help much, I am not a great teacher.
  5. BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    now, i know this has probably already been asked a MILLION times, but please bear with me. I am truly a novice.

How do I 'dump it in real time'?

Do i need some kind of adapter to plug my bass into the computer?

6. You can plug your bass directly into the line in on your soundcard. (You'll need a mono cable with a big jack on one side and a small one on the other.)
    You can adjust the input level with soundforge.
  7. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    1) Modus Operandi is a commonly-used latin phrase meaning "mode of operation". Go figure. Reading Is Fundamental, as they say. It appears the venerable JMX was trying to get more info out of you regarding your recording set up, such that more accurate advice could be given.

2) "Dumping in real time" means recording it in Sound Forge as it plays from your MD.
    To do this:
    - Hook up your MD player as described above, directly into your sound card.
    - Go into SF, and hit the record button. You'll be presented w/ a dialogue to set levels, start recording etc.
    - Play the MD to verify that you're getting levels appropriately. If not, you'll need to troubleshoot your sound card arrangement or the connection from your MD player, which is beyond what I'll get into right now.
    - If you DO get levels, adjust to taste, then restart your MD and hit record in SF. Voila -- recordez vous. Press stop and your new WAV file will be shown to you in SF.
    - Fidget away to your heart's content with SF's effects and plug-ins.
  8. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    If its tone shaping you are after, then once you got your goods in SF bust out a graphic eq. I prefer the Track EQ, and tweek till your hearts content. You may try the Wave Hammer if you need some more level. Maybey have some fun with the Comp/Limiter. Its kinda hard to say "do this and you bass will sound excellent" besides half the fun fiddling around your self, you will learn alot more that way.
  9. all good stuff hear (pun intended) don't forget about the Spectrum Analysis tool - sometimes a visual readout of the sound will tell you what your ears cannot (especially if you have to compromise on your monitors). IMHO if it's not included with SF5 then you probably don't want it on your PC anyway - Sound Forge Rules!