1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using speaker cables as instrument cables?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassline_Delux, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Would there be any problem wit husign a speaker cable to connect two effects? I know using instrument cable for connecting Amps->Cabs is a big nono, but what about using speaker cables as instrument cables?

2. Generally a bad idea because you don't have the shielding of a coaxial instrument cable. It will work, but I wouldn't recommend it. The downsides are noise pickup and possible strain on the effect jacks from the bigger plugs and stiffer cable.

3. Ya, right, I figured the noise thing. But, in case of a jam, would it be a reasonable temporary solution?

4. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    As mentioned, the speaker cables would hum something fierce. The best solution is having extra co-ax and speaker cables. You'll never regret having extras :)

What is it with modern cables? 20 years ago, I was always going through cables. Now the premium co-ax cables (ie. Monster, Planet Waves) seem indestructable!

5. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    As long as you don't mind the noise (because you will get the noise), but I definately wouldn't make any kind of habit out of it.

I made the most ridiculous of mistakes by using a speaker cable a few years ago when I did a short tour of Rome and Naples as a backup cable. I was unable to locate another Cable at the gig, and the noise out of my rig was really annoying.

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    A big +1 on that!

7. Bigger plugs?

8. Whats wrong with using an instrument cable for your speaker?

9. In extreme cases it can cause a fire. I've seen it happen. The conductor in an instrument cable is quite thin, and the shield is not intended to carry any signals - let alone high voltage ones.

Plus, speaker cables are generally cheaper and sturdier.

10. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005

Instrument cable is 1 conductor, speaker cable is 4. Basically you're trying to send more signal than 1 conductor can handle.

11. Instrument cable is two conductor (center conductor and shield). Speaker cable can be two or four conductor typically heavier gauge and unshielded.