1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using stains to refinish instruments.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by drunkenrobot, Apr 28, 2010.

1. After reading a lot build and refurbish threads, I've been persuaded to try to refinish a bass. I'm thinking about my Ibanez JTKB200 which I've had defretted. Turns out I'm not that big a fan of fretless' lol. Ah well, lesson learned.

I was going to sell it but I reckon refinishing it and maybe buying a new neck would be much more fun.

Here's the bass in question:

[​IMG]

And I want it to end up looking like this (at least finish-wise):

[​IMG]

So, I'm intending to remove all components + neck, strip the finish, sand down the edges to make them a big more rounded, maybe put some EMGs in if I have the money, stain the wood purple, spray some decals on in black (don't know what yet), then probably spray some kind of protective coat on or something (complete rookie at this btw).

Basically what I'm asking is will this work? Any hints on what stain/protective layer to use? How to strip the finish? Any hints in general?

Cheers.

EDIT: Oh, and I'll likely leave the pickguards off so any help with filling the holes so that they won't be very noticeable through the stain will be much appreciated.

2. I can't tell from the pic what color the Warwick is- looks like you took it through the window..?
    That said, there are several ways to approach it- I have a few years' experience in wood finishing, both hand-rubbed oil & sprayed lacquer. An oil finish will generally be more satin(not as shiny)where a sprayed finish(can be lacquer, polyurethane or others)is usually the way to go if you want a glossy end product.
    There are many types of stains, in all colors imagineable- just be sure to check that it's compatible w/the topcoat.
    This(my post)is all pretty basic & I strongly suggest you do a good bit of research before doing ANYTHING- finish work can be fairly simple & easy, but it's also quite easy to mess things up if you don't know what you're doing. :)

3. The colour of that Warwick is French Violet apparently, and I just found it off the internet.

And I do intend to do a lot of research beforehand. This project won't be happening till after my summer exams so there's a fair bit of time to learn how to do it.

Thanks for the reply :)

4. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    If your bass is painted, you most probably won't have very nice looking wood grain underneath.

5. Cy_Miles

Cy_Miles

Feb 3, 2005
    my 2 cents.

Save that Ibanez the way it is. Build a body and finish it the way you want.

It's not as hard as most think it is. Come on in, the waters fine.