1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using strap while sitting?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tupac, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    I've always just rested the bass on my knee and never bothered with the strap at all while sitting down. However, now that I realized my neck dive is becoming an issue, I'm going to have to use the strap while sitting down to combat it. But it must be a pain to set the strap so high and then have to lower it again if you wear it that way.

So, do you use your strap while sitting?

2. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    "Proper" technique is to set the strap so your instrument is in the same location when you're standing up as it is while you're sitting down.

So totally not metal though...

...Or not!

tom-morello-200-032108.

3. +1:bassist:

4. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    I actually auditioned for a band way back when because their bassist played his bass up at "nipple" height. I declined their offer for the gig after I had heard that was the main reason for firing him. It does look silly though.

5. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    I never use my strap while sitting, and I wear my bass guitars high.

6. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    I actually rest my bass (or guitar) on my LEFT knee, so most of the mass of the bass is between my legs. IME, this gives a much more realistic playing position when compared to standing, and there is little need for a strap.

7. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    This is how Gary Willis does it, from his YouTube vids. It's also supposed to be easier on the wrists, allowing for more natural hand placement.

Myself, I wear my basses high enough that I have the straps set up for both sitting/standing positions.

8. davidjackson

davidjackson

Sep 10, 2011
    UK
    I'm a bit of a pedant when it comes to technique - one finger on each fret, always using the little finger etc. - and have never had a problem when sitting with neck dive. What type of bass do you play? My P, J and Yamaha BB basses have never caused me a problem in that position.

9. maybe it's my shape :eyebrow: but I can't play sitting w/o a strap.

10. I have always had my strap so that it's the same height sitting and standing. It just seems so logical.

11. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Squier VM Jaguar Special. It's the lightest solid body bass I've ever played, which is probably why it has neck diving issues.