1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using TC Electronic Gmajor for bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NSHB82, Jun 9, 2014.

1. So I'm a guitar player that's been starting to get into the world of bass guitar. I'm piecing together a new bass rig, and I've been trying to decide how best to approach the effects. I already have the original TC Gmajor processor from my guitar rack, and I was thinking it might translate well enough to bass. Has anyone tried this, or heard of anyone that has? Or should I be thinking about selling it off and looking at something else, designed for bass, say a Zoom B3, or comparable? I don't have an amp with an effects loop as of yet (working on that) so I haven't been able to try it myself. I play mostly rock and metal, with lots of progressive elements.

Thanks for the input.

2. Not too popular for bass, eh? :D

3. I am not at all familiar with TC gear. But I personally would avoid using a guitar head for bass. You will be compromising performance to a significant degree. It might do for practice or even light rehearsal but not much beyond that in my opinion. If you are serious about your role as bass player, you will need the proper equipment. I would begin searching Craigslist...

4. Haha thanks, but the Gmajor is a rack mounted effects processor, not an amplifier. When I mentioned that I don't yet have a bass amp with an effects loop, (playing through a GK combo at the moment) I was only pointing it out as the reason I haven't tried the Gmajor with a bass amp yet. It's supposed to work for bass according to TC, but what few opinions I've found via search engines seem to think it isn't great for that purpose. Was just seeing if anyone here has any experience.

5. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Smurf Village
    There isn't compromise in sound using the TCE g-Major with bass. The best to figure it out is trying yourself. You already have got the G-major... hook it up to you bass gear then come back and tell us if it worked ;)

6. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    I could work great.
    I think there are 2 main things to listen for:
    1. Low-end loss - that's mostly what happens with guitar effects used on bass
    2. latency
    see how it sounds!

7. I agree, that is the best way. However, I can't do that yet, as the combo amp I'm using doesn't have an effects loop. I'm building my stack at the moment, already have a cab, and should have a real head in a week or two, but until then, I can't try it out myself. I was just seeing if anyone had done it before and had an opinion on it, or if I should be researching other options. Thanks for the input though!

8. The low end loss is mostly what I'm worried about. I've read that TC claims the Gmajor should work fine for bass (though reports say the tuner won't register the B string on a 5er. No matter, I use a Korg rack tuner anyway) but I was worried about it cutting out frequencies that I would rather remain where they are.

Latency was never an issue when I used it for guitar. I'm not a super heavy effects user, but what effects I did use, worked quite well. I've owned the Gmajor for many years, I'm just now seeing if it might also work for bass.

9. Why do you need o run it through the effects loop? Why not run it into your amp's input?

10. Haven't tried it to be honest, but the Gmajor was designed to be in an effects loop. Not sure if line levels would match up. Might not hurt to try though.

11. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    It won't hurt to try. TC makes some good products. Should work pretty well with bass, keys, guitar, etc.. Your ears will be the best judge. Some effects may sound better than others. Key to listen to low end loss or tone loss. Either way you aren't gonna hurt anything by trying it out.

12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If it only outputs a line level signal I would suggest using the active pad on your amps input, pending it has one.

I wouldn't be worried about latency at all, not sure how that could even be an issue.

13. Worth giving it a shot. Though I'm only without a head for another week, two tops, so I may say screw it and just wait. I'd be happy as hell if it works just as well for bass; means I don't have to change much, just create a few new patches.
    Latency was never an issue with mine.