Using the attenuated input for a Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skel, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hi all - I have mentioned in a couple other threads that I was having trouble with my Stingray ( 4 string, black w/ maple fretboard) having a "clickiness" noise problem. I thought it was my poor technique (and some of it probably is), but last night I tried running into my -15 dB input on my Ampeg BA115 practice amp. I had to turn the amp up louder to compensate, but the result was amazing - almost *no* "clickiness". I have been playing this bass for about the last 10 hours - falling in love REAL fast.

So, sorry if this is kind of a "duh" question, but is this the way you are supposed to use a Stingray (or any active pickup bass) - by using the attenuated input? Also - how do some of you set up your 3 band EQ?

What an awesome bass!

2. Yup, it's usually not a bad idea to use the padded input for active basses as you'll get easy clipping otherwise(which is the part of the clicking you heard. The attack of your fingers must have caused the clipping).
    Cool that you're finally learning to love your 'ray. Don't forget to show your Ric some love too, though.
  3. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    No - my parents just came in from Phoenix, so I was showing my dad my bass guitars. I started out with the Stingray into the attenuated input - we both thought it sounded awesome. Then I got my RIC out -plugged it in (obviously to the non-attenuated input) and it blew both of us away! Very different tone, but still fantastic in it's own way. Now I have the Stingray, RIC, a *not bad - but ugly* MIM precision, and my latest additions are 2 sunburst SX's, one jazz and the other a '57 precision copy - these were just too good of a deal *not* to have.

I just cannot believe I listened to the guy at GC, who told me *not* to use the attenuated input with the Stingray. Now that I know how to use it, I simply love this bass, especially for the precision type sound, and with the maple fretboard - it just doesn't get any better for me. Nothing feels better that *loving* your instruments.

4. kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    that's funny, i've been plugging my stingray into the flat (or 0) input on several heads for several years and have not had any problems with clickiness or clipping. :eyebrow: but i'm glad you resolved your problem without having to spend any extra $$

one thing's for certain, never listen to the guys at GC. If anythikng try the opposite of what most of them say. Case in point.
  5. I had some worrying times for the first couple of months after i got my 'ray. I just couldn't get the sound I was after, even though the sound wasn't bad, I couldn't get it as fat and soupy as I wanted it.

Now I have no problems at all - I roll the bass up a little, keep the mids at centre-detent and roll the treble back a bit - pup selector in the far left position.