1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using the basic triads in walking lines

Discussion in 'Ask Todd Johnson [Archived]' started by speedrabbit, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Hi Todd

I've been trying to learn to play better walking bass lines (for about the 5th time I'm ashamed to say!) and so far feel pretty comfortable playing very simple lines using root and fifth. I now want to start incorporating the 3rd and was wondering if you have any useful tips? Is it, for example, mainly a question of mixing up the 3 notes e.g. 1-3-5-3, or 1-5-3-5?

Cheers

John.

2. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Hi John,

Forgive me for sounding like a commercial, but I would HIGHLY recommend you pick up Volume 1 of my Walking Bass series. I cover triads plus Chromatic approaches IN DEPTH in Volume 1. It's exactly what you need to solidify your walking and get it off to a solid start.

Since this is your "5th" attempt at this, it sounds like you need a solid method and instruction. I made my DVD/Books for guys like you. Make sense??

To answer your question....YES...it is a matter of mixing up the root, 3rds & 5ths....but you also need to implement the chromatic approaches too.

I hope this helps....Let me know if you should have further questions!!

3. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I am going to jump in here and not let Todd hang out there advertising himself. The Walking Bass I DVD, which I have had for a couple of years, is exactly what someone in speedrabbit's situation would want. If you want to walk jazz, and can't seem to get started all on your own, this series is great. If you can't find a teacher as organized and supportive as Todd in your neighborhood, this DVD is ideal. And, for the cost of one or two lessons, it's a steal. Spend an hour or so a day with it, if that's all you have, and it will take you step by step. For a beginner, it really is that good.

4. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    mi7b5!!

Man, your support and recommendation are GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thank you my friend!!!!

(Checks in the mail...:D)

5. It does look ideal, unfortunately given the parlous state of the UK economy and the cost of shipping, together with the exchange rate it might have to wait a little while.

Is it available in the UK at the moment Todd?

6. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Yes, I believe it is available in the UK. You might try the UK Amazon.com etc. But yes....it's available in the UK.

READY...........GO!!

:)

7. derekd

derekd

Feb 16, 2009
    KC
    I second the suggestion for vol I. I really dig the way you have organized lines into modules. Really works for me, and the teaching I do.

8. Todd Johnson

Todd Johnson

Sep 27, 2005
    Anthem, AZ
    Many thanks for the kind words Derekd!!

9. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland

Check E Bay. I bought Vol 2 there recently. :)