Using the Boss GT-6B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Smacky the Frog, May 22, 2007.

1. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog

Nov 15, 2006
    I just got a Boss GT-6B from my g****r player (who knows what he was doing with that?) and am going to run it with a passive 4-string Warwick corvette through a hartke transient attack 3500 head going into an ampeg 4x10. I got questions, you guys got answers?

1) How can I get a good SVT sound out of it? Or at least a reasonable fascimile of an SVT out of it?

2) It's real buzzy... dunno if it's my house, the amp, the pickups or what... but unless it's on 8x10 speaker emulation mode, it buzzes real badly.

3) How do you guys use yours? Is there a trick to getting this as responsive as just going bass--->amp? I really want to try this thing and give it a go, seeing as it's gotten some pretty good reviews on the interwebs.

2. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    get a manual for it, sit down, and learn how to tweak it.

it is awesome for getting nearly any sound you want (the amp sims arent great but still color the overall tone well most of the time)

you just need to take to time to edit it and set it the way you like, and it may take a while because its very deep editing a lot of the time (like where to put what effects in the chain)

as far as the buzzing, try messing with the compressor (changing the model, level) and the noise gate. the one anoying thing is that you have to get the levels on all of the effects set correctly for it to sound good and for the effects to not have a big volume disparity.

i use mine mostly for recording, but sometimes for shows, the trick is to take it slow first, make one really good, really useful patch, and then expand on that as you need to (i have several patches for different clustering of effects / different overal all styles ie jazz rock metal etc)

as far as the svt sound, i think the 'concert' model on the preamp might be the ampeg clone, but not sure. its one of them, mess around with it and you will be pleased

3. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I don't use it very often but I still haven't sold mine as I can't bring myself to wave goodbye to some of the sounds I can get out of it. It can be noisy and I found that I got elimaned alot of it by simply not using the amp simulations- or at least reducing the amount of gain on the amp settings helped me to cut down on local fm broadcasts. It works best for me live but the overdrive(read lack of good overdrive sounds) makes me use it less and less.

4. VTSlim

VTSlim

Jul 12, 2006
    Norfolk, VA
    I don't use mine much anymore since I decided that a large pedalboard full of hard-to-tweak and expensive pedals was the way to go, haha.

But I do recall that the manual actually uses the "SVT" designation for one of the pre-amp settings.

Good advice above... you just have to sit down with the manual and play with it for a few hours. It shouldn't make much extraneous noise. I'd say switch to one of the factory settings and see if the noise goes away. Then try to figure out what's making the buzzing sound.

Once you tweak everything, I think you'll be very happy with the sound quality and versatility. The main reason I switched to individiaul pedals is because I wanted some specific pedals and I didn't want both a pedalboard and the GT-6B. Also, it is very difficult to make changes on the fly with the GT-6B, and I was finding that I never seemed to have the effect handy that I'd want to use in the middle of a gig. Also, in terms of gigging, the acoustics of different venues created a bit of a headache because I was having to go back through my carefully adjusted patches and change things on the fly during soundcheck. You'll have the same problem with a "real" pedalboard, but it's easier to just reach down and turn a few knobs rather than scroll through menus in the middle of a song.

5. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog

Nov 15, 2006
    I actually DID sit down and tweak it... the amp sim sounds much, much better when I use the boss as a DI as opposed to putting it in front of my amp. I got it for like, 200 bucks off of y guitarist and I'm going to use it to achieve the sound I want before I shell out the moneys for a real ampeg head...

Though in retrospect, I should've gotten a Bass Driver D.I. maybe I'll get the behringer one just to try out first?

6. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I'll trade you my Behringer BDI for your GT-6B. Of course, just kidding. I love the BDI by Behringer. It's a key part of my rig.
    As far as the GT-6B goes, let me comment on it, though I use the GT-6 guitar version.
    It takes some serious time to get into the mindset of how to get around in that thing. The stock sounds of the guitar version were so-so. With soooo many strings, bodies, pickups, finger styles and amps out there, there's no way I'd expect too much from them.
    However, with the guitar version, I'd typically start with a clean slate, and then build up to my desired tone. That works very well. Many of the built-in effects were equals of their stomp-box counterparts. Some were a bit lacking, but still useable.
    Take some MORE time, like seriously a few hours of one-on-one, and I'm certain you'll be able to get all the usable tones out of it you desire.

7. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog

Nov 15, 2006
    Yeah. Actually, with the 200 bucks, I bought a guitar version of the GT-6 to trade with the guitarist's GT-6B. I do start with the EZtone and tweak it from there, but really, I wish I could just plug it into my laptop and have you critique the tone that I got. Any suggestions on how to do the preamp to get a "good enough" SVT tone for rock?

8. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    Having owned one in the past and regretfully letting it go, I'd say be patient with it. Don't forget, there's a dedicated stomp swtich that says BYPASS. Use it to save yourself from awkward situations in live playing. Great advice from the above posters, play it safe first, get your favorite sounds into a patch, and try it to see how they fare live. There's alot of deep editing involved in getting specific tones, so don't forget to save your favorite patches into additional banks, while toying around with the in-progress one's live, you never know. My personal view is that the GT6B is an all-round great multi, save for the wah/drive patches. The Octave Fuzz is GREAT though.

9. SMHP

SMHP

Jan 3, 2007
    San Diego
    i have had mine for like five years, i used to hate it and now i absolutely love it, but it really comes down to knowing what it does well and what it does poorly.

whatever you do do NOT use the amp sims, at the most, use a little bit of eq to make whatever effects are on that channel sound better

other things to know is that the compression on it is not great, and neither is the wah pedals.

i have a ebs multi comp running before it and a wheeping demond after it and i can make any sounds imaginable, each channel's sound is uneffected (bypassed) until i put on an effect so all my tone comes from my amp and it is more like using it as an unlimited number of effects

do not try to use it as your main tone maker, you will be diasappointed, just think of it as a bunch of effects

another thing is even though i have had it for about 5 years i ALWAYS have the manual sitting right next to me wherever i go because it is the most difficult thing in the world to make tweaks and change effects of patches on the fly

give it alot of time you will come to love it as i have

10. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    smhp, how do you configure it to have it be bypass except for the effects themselves, or do you just leave it on bypass until you stomp on one, and then go back to bypass after that

11. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    if it's been owned by a g****rist, i would do a factory reset first because every edited user patch will smell of g***tar, that's what is causing the buzzy bee sounds.

the user manual is essential, you can get that from
    http://lib.roland.co.jp/manual/en/dl_04-00393/GT-6B_e2.pdf

with the pre-amp sims, i find if the 'gain' is set above 30%, you start getting serious overdrive, so tweak that back a bit and use the 'level' instead.

i have a software editor for the GT-6B, which makes editing sooo much easier doing it graphically on a P.C. rather than with the tiny screen on the GT-6B. you can get it free from
    http://gumtownbassman.tinfoilmusic.net/

it might help to set the global noise gate thresholds to suit your rig, will help get rid of all that buzzing too.
    if you find you get better results using th DI, then you most likely have an earthing problem.:hyper:

12. SMHP

SMHP

Jan 3, 2007
    San Diego
    first of all good point on doing a re-set of the whole system

then what i did is this:
    ok so pick a patch that you never think you would use, then (using the manual) switch it to the very first patch that goes on when you turn it on.
    erase all the effects and settings that are on the patch
    then turn off all the eq, all the cab models mic models ect.
    then it should sound like your just plugging straight into your amp.
    switch on and off the bypass to make sure its about the same volume, and sounds the same, (i think it might be true bypass if its not it sure sounds good anyways.
    then from there you can choose which comp, which distortion, which effect #2 and delay and all that good stuff and then it is just the same as having a bunch of pedals.

the first 4 patches on my gt-6b is just MY tone from MY amp and then with different combinations of effects and effect settings

for example my second patch is
    rack comp-----fuzz distortion----whammy on/off-------delay/reverb-----and my pedal is a volume when it is off and a wah when it is on

(yes it has a pretty good whammy i dont know if you knew it had one, i didnt know until i had it for a long time its called a pedal bend PD)

a few of my patches i boosted the mids of lows or highs or whatever but for the most part it is JUST my tone from my bass and amp because that is really what i like

a long time ago i tried to make it so all my eq and setting were saved in the pedal but it really doesnt sound that good so i wouldnt recomend even trying

13. EBMan

EBMan Guest

Oct 10, 2006
    I play my Sterling HS through a GT-6B into a GK and don't experience any unwanted noise. I really like it.

14. Smacky the Frog

Smacky the Frog

Nov 15, 2006
    Uh-oh... guess this means so much for using it as a SVT-ish di box, eh?

15. SMHP

SMHP

Jan 3, 2007
    San Diego
    i dont know i spent a lot of time trying to make the sims sound good but i could not
    i would try a sansamp if thats really what you are looking for
    if you have any success making the sims sound good let me know how you did it

16. Fraxture

Fraxture

May 25, 2007
    I have one of these on order. And noticed there really isn't much of a patch community out there.

Should we all post a patch that we created and named so as to broaden the scope of this unit?

I will post one when I get it and have time to fiddle with it. :bassist:

17. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Just about all my patches are composed of FX only. I don't use the drives nor the amp/cab sims because I have singles to address that part of the my sound.

I've been using the synths and chorus more and more lately to fill the holes in my group's music.

18. +1

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021