1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using the Chours on a delay independantly

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kromwarp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Hey there,

I've been looking around at delay pedals like the Deluxe Memory Man (more specifically the Behringer Vintage Time Machine) and I was wondering if the chorus in the unit could be used separately from the delay if need be, making so you didn't a separate chorus on your board.

Any advice is appreciated!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I seriously doubt it. Most delays that have modulation, apply that modulation only on the delays, not the dry input signal.

3. Yeah, just set the time for very short intervals. I can get some pretty good chorus/flanger sounds with my SMMH.

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    The vibrato/chorus effects in a modulated delay come from modulating the time of the delay with an LFO. If there was no delay line you would have nothing to modulate. So it's not just a matter of taking a delay and applying chorus to it, which could then be used separately.

Looked at another way, all a chorus is is a delay with modulated time plus the clean signal.

I haven't used either of those particular units, but in modulated delays I've built, it's possible to reduce the nominal delay time to almost none, in order to get a chorus sound without a noticeable delay (technically, there must always be a delay at least half the length of the LFO's amplitude). That's all a chorus is. I would imagine it's possible to do this with those units stock, but if not it's a mod that could be done by someone who knows what they're doing.