1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using the Fractal AX8 on bass - Video

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by whynotj, Feb 14, 2020.

1. whynotj

whynotj

Feb 5, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey everybody, I posted this on the Fractal user forums last month, and thought it might be relevant here as well. I have been using a Fractal AX8 as my main touring companion for a good number of years now when I'm on the road (currently alternating between Butch Walker, Natasha Bedingfield and Richard Marx). I love the fact that it can function as a very effective tone shaper, which is mainly what I use it for, but is also capable of pretty much any bonkers FX idea I can throw at it. I've gotten a few requests to do a video about it, so that's what I did. I walk through my most basic preset and show you how I use a few different elements in the AX8 to make up the bass tone that I send to the front of house. As I explain in the video, I don't do anything radical and it's all pretty subtle, but I've been very happy with the results for years now, and so are the sound people I work with. Hope you enjoy!

Ba55Man1ac, DrMole, TheLopp and 6 others like this.
  2. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Been wanting to snag one of these for a while now, out of sheer curiosity. Thanks for sharing your results!

BrentSimons and whynotj like this.
  3. Nice, nothing wrong with that. Very tight and clean sound.

BrentSimons and whynotj like this.
  4. jimfist

jimfist "Cling tenaciously to my buttocks!"

Mar 28, 2011
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Now that the new FM3 pedal is being shipped, I'm hoping we'll see more of the AX8 available on the used market at more of a bargain. I'm guessing somewhere around $500-600 range. If so, steal of a deal.

BrentSimons and cataract like this.
  5. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    I had a buddy of mine offer his up to me for $400, probably should’ve jumped on it. Ah well, it’s still on my list of things to definitely try.

BrentSimons and jimfist like this.
  6. whynotj

whynotj

Feb 5, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Haven't preordered yet but I definitely have my eye on that thing :)

BrentSimons and jimfist like this.
  7. I want an ax8 so so badly. KILLER.

whynotj likes this.
  8. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    So I broke out my new (to me) AX8 Saturday evening for the first time outside of my bedroom, and HO-LEE-COW this thing is an absolute blessing! I have never sounded so good in my 20 years as a performing bassist. I tried a handful of other people's created presets from the Fractal forums and they all sounded pretty bad except yours OP, aside from needing some more booty for this pop covers gig I've been doing, it sounds quite nice for a J-bass. The HPF option and studio compressor just plain rock. Too bad gigs are few & far between thanks to this rotten virus.

Zymba likes this.
  9. whynotj

whynotj

Feb 5, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    Great to hear! That's the thing about bass: a decent instrument, played well, already sounds great plugged in directly, and to me it only takes a couple of nudges in a few critical areas to take it over the top. I'm guessing maybe some people try to do too much when putting together a preset, to the point where they may inadvertently be getting rid of what makes a bass 'speak' in the first place. You could argue that the AX8 is total overkill for what I need it to do, but it does it so well and having it all in one box is totally worth it to me. Anyway, glad to see another AX8 bass user out in the wild!

10. Zymba

Zymba Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Cool video. It's always great to see how actual gigging musicians are using their gear in a practical way, especially an elaborate piece like the Fractal.

whynotj likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021