Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using the Gator Roller Speaker Bag for a Schroeder Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by uglybassplayer, Nov 6, 2004.

1. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Does anybody here on TB own one of these (Gator GPA700)?

I'm trying to figure out if the Schroeder 1210 will be able to fit in it.

The Schroeder's dimensions are 23"(W)x16"(H)x16"(D)

Gator's specs have the interior dimensions of the GPA700 as: 28"(H)x19.5"(W)x14"(D)

Obviously, the issue here would be the depth. However, the Mackie SRM450 is 15" deep, and JBL EON 15 is 17.5" at it's deepest point, and they supposedly fit in this bag.

I'm wondering if the extra space gained in height and width would allow me to squeek by on the extra 2" in depth.

- Frank.

2. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    *bump*

i'm interested in this question too as I just ordered a 1212.
    I could swear somebody somewhere found a bag-with-wheels (maybe this one?) that fit their Schroeder but I can't for the life of me find the post.
    Don't know if it was even on Talkbass.

3. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Actually, It's me. SKB just recently put out a similar product, the SKB-SPKR1. I bought mine here. The dimensions are 28"Tall x 18"Wide x 17"Deep, which handles most 2x10" cabinets (including all of the Schroeder small boxes). As you can see in the pictures, there's an outside pouch that can hold quite a bit of additional accessories, like cables, power strip, bass stand, etc. There are also 4 small internal compartments inside that can be used for smaller items (I use these to hold the speaker and power cables). There's enough room in the main compartment to hold both my Schroeder 1210 (standing on it's side), along with my GK 1001RB nestled inside a GK 700RB/1001RB Padded Bag resting on top of the Schroeder.

The only issue I had with the SKB bag is it is so new that Performance Audio was the only place I could find that sold it, and even they had to have it dropped shipped to me directly from SKB.

- Frank.

4. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
  5. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    You know, good question. While I don't have a scale handy to get a true weight, I'd guess at somewhere between 15 and 17lbs. That may sound heavy to you but it really isn't considering the size of the bag. The material is consistant with what you'd find on most roller luggage bags today. It came shipped folded flat... It comes with several plastic inserts that I suspect are to be used to help make it more rigid. I'm only using one of them to add more support to the bottom of the case though. All in all I'm very happy with it... It protects my Schroeder and it allows me to store (except my bass) and easily transport all of my gear in a single trip.

- Frank.

6. I have the Gator bag, and I could not get the 1210 to go in and zip. It was close, and perhaps if I was more aggressive, but I didn't want to destroy the bag.

Aloha,

JOnathan

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Thats good to know Jonathan... I'm glad I found out about the SKB bag and didn't waste my time ordering the Gator bag. I wasn't able to locate either of them in any of my local stores (including GC and SamAsh), so the only way I would have been able to find out would have been to order it online.

The other nice thing about the SKB bag is that instead of having a zipper in the middle of the bag, the SKB bag has rigid corners and a zipper that unzips 3/4 around the front to create a lid while it is lying on the ground making it somewhat easier for one person to lower the speaker into the bag without it collapsing.

- Frank.

8. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I recently purchased one of the SKB SPKR bags to use with my Schroeder 1212 as well. I've been very happy with it, particularly the rigid corners and sides created by sliding the stiff pieces of plastic that come with the bag into the corner "pockets" to keep the bag semi rigid when you open it. I'm not explaining that very well, but there is some assembly required when you get it. I don't have a scale handy either, but I think the weight is far lower than what UBP estimated. I would guess that the total weight is closer to 10 pounds, and a lot of that weight comes from the piece of wood that gets slid into the end pocket making for a sturdy bottom to the case when you roll it. I was able to fit my AI Focus, plus extension cords and a stand light inside the bag, and slide the Hamilton stand for my Eminence EUB into the outside pocket, making for a very easy load-in and load-out.

9. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Aahh, so that's where those plastic pieces are supposed to go. I've been using the two upper corner pockets to hold the speakon cable and power cable for my GK. I'll have to take another look at this and see just how I can slide those plastic pieces in there... I supposed I need to bend them to follow the curve of the corners as I slide them in?

- Frank.

10. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Exactly, the four plastic pieces get bent in half (they spring back when inserted) and slid into the pockets. Some of them are notched and only go in one way. The heavy wooden piece goes into the pocket on the bottom. The plastic pieces when inserted allow the bag to stay open to accept the speaker--mostly, it doesn't work perfectly--with minimal hassle with the bag.

I'm not surprised you didn't figure it out, particularly since the bag ships with no instructions. I was so confused I called SKB tech support and got somebody to explain to me what to do.