Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

using the GT 6 B only with a cab??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Terrorstorm, Mar 18, 2005.

1. hi,
    i dindn't know where to post this, effects or amp section...
    but i'll try it here maybe someone knows...

so..
    i have a questen: can i go with the output of my GT6-B to the input of my 4 ohm swr cabinet, and just the bass plugges into the input of the GT6-B. is this possible? and could this do any harm to the cab or maybe to the GT6-B. i mean, because of some ohm problems? has anyone tryes..or has anyone an idea..
    i want to use the preamp section without having a head before. just one of the build in preamps to my cab. the problem is i have no power amp, but maybe this is possible without one?
    I'm afraid that i would kill one of these things.

what do you say

ok thanks!
    greets

2. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    you need a poweramp.

3. ok thanks.. that's what I wanted to know.
    so I will look if I get one that is not too expensive.
    ...does anybody have experience with doing this.
    how does it sound??

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It works great. I don't use the GT-6B but I do go preamp ---> power amp ---> cab.

I use an Avalon U5, QSC PLX 1202 and a Bergantino HT112.

5. I've known people who went from the GT-6B to a power amp to a cab. It's only inconvenient in that you need to bend over to tweak something a little bit. Other than that, it works pretty good. If you're shopping for a power amp, you need to make sure the GT-6B can drive it to its full power. Some high-end amps require a certain input voltage, and I don't really know what the GT-6B puts out. I'm sure someone here knows.