Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using the line out off the back of my Fafner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Feb 3, 2003.

1. My Fafner is one of the older ones that doesn't have an XLR output. Would it be acceptable, for sound reinforcement purposes, to take a line off the unbalanced post-EQ (always set dead flat) line out?

When I've done sound and the bassist's amp doesn't have an XLR out, I always just put them through a DI box, but I'd really like the Fafner grit to be heard out in the mains and I don't want to deal with a Sansamp.

2. Well? Anyone?

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I think so, but most sound guys want a balanced signal, especially if you are going to a snake.

You could get a DI that lets you pad the signal and put it between the amp and the cab. The behringer is cheap and does 40db of cut. If you have more $, I'm pretty sure the countryman can do this too.

4. Hell, I'm sure a $20 passive DI box can do 20 or 40 dB of cut. I'll just use one of those.

5. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    The behringer is only $30 at MF

I don't think you can put a regular DI between amp and cab, but you'll have to confirm that w/ somebody else. Maybe this thread belongs in the soundguy forum? (forget real name right now)

6. FWIW, this would be from an unbalanced slave-out kind of 1/4" out--not a speaker output jack. (The Fafner only has those in banana and Speakon formats, anyway.)

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Oh yeah, duh, go passive for that.