Using the Mesa 400+'s Channel 2 with active bass/boost fx

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmoove, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

I'm onto the 5th round of experimentation with the setup of my Mesa 400+ rig. I usually run my MM Stingray 5 thru the Channel 1 jack (Active) but now I've decided to try a new setup to separate my clean/distortion channels into the two inputs on the 400+

Take a look:

MM Stingray 5 (Active) -> Tech 21 Sansamp RBI ->
    [Sansamp Out -> 400+ Ch 1]
    [Unaffected Out -> Boss TU-2 -> Distortion Pedals -> 400+ Ch 2]

This way I can use the tuner to mute the Ch2 when I dont need it, and kick it in at the right times, blending the combination of clean Sansamp bottom-end and distorted chao.

But I was wondering if Ch2 is the hotter input, maybe running an active bass with such a distorted/boosted signal into what should be a passive input is good/bad for the amp?

I really like this setup, the tone is insane (like 2 rigs in one!) but I dont want to be overloading the preamp. Could just switch the inputs too - any ideas?

2. mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    Good question, I've been wondering about this too. I need to do a little more research, but I don't think one pre is made for passive, and the other for active. I think I recall reading the manual (who does that anymore??) and it saying that the preamps are different, but it didn't say that they are made for specific input loads. I find that CH1 is a little cleaner and harder to drive and CH2 has more grawl.
    I don't know if this helps any, but still its a good question...I'm looking forward to reading something for someone who knows.

You can download the manual from
  3. yeah, I find the Ch 2 much too boomy - but at '2' it's incredibly loud, that's why I'm cautious about cranking too much gain through it