1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using the Mesa 400+'s Channel 2 with active bass/boost fx

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmoove, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Hey guys,

I'm onto the 5th round of experimentation with the setup of my Mesa 400+ rig. I usually run my MM Stingray 5 thru the Channel 1 jack (Active) but now I've decided to try a new setup to separate my clean/distortion channels into the two inputs on the 400+

Take a look:

MM Stingray 5 (Active) -> Tech 21 Sansamp RBI ->
    [Sansamp Out -> 400+ Ch 1]
    [Unaffected Out -> Boss TU-2 -> Distortion Pedals -> 400+ Ch 2]

This way I can use the tuner to mute the Ch2 when I dont need it, and kick it in at the right times, blending the combination of clean Sansamp bottom-end and distorted chao.

But I was wondering if Ch2 is the hotter input, maybe running an active bass with such a distorted/boosted signal into what should be a passive input is good/bad for the amp?

I really like this setup, the tone is insane (like 2 rigs in one!) but I dont want to be overloading the preamp. Could just switch the inputs too - any ideas?

Thanks!

2. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    Good question, I've been wondering about this too. I need to do a little more research, but I don't think one pre is made for passive, and the other for active. I think I recall reading the manual (who does that anymore??) and it saying that the preamps are different, but it didn't say that they are made for specific input loads. I find that CH1 is a little cleaner and harder to drive and CH2 has more grawl.
    I don't know if this helps any, but still its a good question...I'm looking forward to reading something for someone who knows.

You can download the manual from mesaboogie.com.

3. yeah, I find the Ch 2 much too boomy - but at '2' it's incredibly loud, that's why I'm cautious about cranking too much gain through it