Using the Midi on the Boss GT6b

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tiger9695, Jan 19, 2003.

1. I just bought an alesis nanobass and was looking to add some of its effects with my Boss GT6b. The main use of the Nanobass is to use with my Bass pedals/roland pk 5 Midi pedals, but because of the ability to use midi (in and out)with the Boss GT6b, I wanted to expand the Nanobass use. I have much tech experience(analog) but not much midi....any help out here at all, or a good website/book for learning more about midi implementation.....??
    Thanks in Advance....
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I am not positive, but I think you have this backwards -- you can use the fx from the GT6B to enhance tones coming out of the nanobass+pedals, but you cannot use the Nanobass to enhance anything coming out of the GT6B. The nanobass is a MIDI synth module and the GT6B is an FX processor.
  3. Thanks Jondog. I think I may have written my question wrong, because what you said is exactly what I am trying to do.....
  4. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    If you want to use the GT6B to enhance the sounds coming out of the Nanobass then you don't need to worry about MIDI at all (Except to play the Nanobass, and maybe control the GT6B if you want to get into it deep enough.) As is said in all MIDI threads, MIDI does not deal with audio in any way, shape, or form.

What you need to do is run the audio out of the Nanobass into the GT6B, then run the audio out of the GT6B into your amp, or the PA. How many inputs does the GT6B have? If it's less than 2 then you can only run one sound source (bass or Nanobass) through it at a time, unless you get a splitting cable. You could run both through it, but it would require a line selector. If it's two, then you need to find out if you can apply different effects to different inputs and send each signal to a different output.