Using the neck material as the fingerboard (laminated!)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by PasdaBeer, Jun 11, 2004.

1. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    Anyone ever tried using a left over peice of a laminated neck as a finger board.

IE having a 5 peice neck, Maple, Purple Heart, map, purp, maple, Slicing a 1/4 inch off of it, routing the truss rod, installing it, then gluing the 1/4 inch peice back on and fretting / finishing as normal?
  2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Very interesting idea! I've not done it, but I've got a few necks that are of hard enough wood that it would be fun to try.

I would think however, with the woods you mentioned in your example above, that you would need a hard finish on it, if for nothing else for the maple portion of the neck.

Maybe having Gallery Hardwoods make a neck blank, then slice off 5/16" of it and run it through the stabilization process he has..... hmm.... I might have to try this.

3. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I have an order where the customer wants to do exactly this. I talked to Larry at Gallery and he said that if the lams were glued with epoxy, they should survive the acrylic impregnation process, but that warping could be an issue. He recommended using a thicker slice that could be trued up afterwards.
  4. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  5. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    exacly like that......

cept i just found 2 BEUTIFUL peices of mad. Ebony and a great peice of Coco Bolo, all of them able to make 2 fingerboards each, so i think ill be using those insted : )
  6. Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    Seems like it would be simpler do install the truss rod from the rear with a skunk stripe.