Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using the pick?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by PUNK&DONUTS, Apr 9, 2001.

1. At present I am trying to practice using a pick as to add an extra thing to my inventory just in case I come across the need to use it and am having trouble using it. My question is what are some drills that would help with speed and precision mainly precision that you have used and have worked for you. Many thanks for your help.

2. i think picks are really lame...i won't ever need it

3. Dude it's called broadening your horizons and some extremely good and acredited players use them.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    There goes your chance of replacing Anthony Jackson in Al DiMeola's band..... :rolleyes: :D

5. Ok! now without makeing any remarks regarding if fingers is better than pick or anything the like has anyone actually got any methods to teach it would be most appreciated.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I wish I could, P&D. I don't use a pick, although, I wish I had the time to spend on it.

If I were to guess, I'd say to do the things you do with your fingers, untill they feel comfortable. When they feel natural, you know you've got it.

But that's just a guess.

7. Thanks dude! and your probably right but I'm looking for something to speed it along a bit. The thing is the moment I picked up bass I used my fingers so using a pick is a completely weird experience because it seems that I have no connection and end up getting lost. For the last couple of weeks I've been running through scales and such but I haven't really got much better.

8. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    uurm, i dunno how much help this will be coz i started out with a pick and haved moved onto fingers so im pretty equal with both.

But, sometimes when im bored (I'll probably get shouted by for this by the masters) I just hold a note or do three notes on one string and just play then as fast as I can with a pick and now i can play any song pretty fast with a pick, even the panic song by greenday ;)

probably havent helped there have i?

9. it took me about 3 months before i could alternate between up and down strokes. don't worry, it'll take a while but it will be worth it.

10. bassplr15

bassplr15

Apr 8, 2001
    Monahans
    well what i do is i learn a song with my fingers and then go back and do it with a pick. i have gotten good at it

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I use a pick maybe 20-30% of the time. I've played with a pick for a while now, I can't think of any specific exercises regarding picking, I just kept doing it and got better at it. Practice, practice I guess...

12. my advice is when practicing, always alternate down/up strokes, every note. also, practice skipping strings. the big disadvantage of a pick is that it separates you from the bass, so you have to get a good feel for where the strings are.

13. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    First and most important try to hold the pick loose. Most people grip it too tight at first and this makes yer hand sore and more important makes it very hard to re-adjust the position when the pick slips around in yer fingers (which it always will).

Second experiment with how much pick you have showing. I use a stiff pick and only let a little show so that the meat of my fingers almost brushes the strings. That's just one sound though. For a clickier, rock sound a medium pick with more showing is good.

Third practice alternate strokes, all ups and all downs. Ups and downs have different articulations you'll wanna tap into. Also practice playing close to the bridge and up at the fingerboard to get different sounds.

Ask guitar players how they do things. There's a lot to be learned from them like sweep picking fer example.

Hope this helps.

14. shagEb

shagEb Guest

Apr 14, 2001
    USA, Polkville NC
    i don't use a pick but when i need that pick sound i get aggressive and dig in to the string right at the bridge. come on use the god giving picks!