Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using the pinky

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by ironmaidenisgod, May 20, 2004.

1. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Hey Mike,
    I'm a new user of this site.I just wanted to know if it is necessary to use my pinky on my left hand(I'm right handed).
    I can achieve great speed with three fingers.Is it bad technique to use three?

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The general rule is one finger per fret, but some people don't incorporate the pinky of their fretting hand

Famous examples - Flea said in an interview once that he doesn't use his pinky; he might of changed since the time of the interview. I believe Rocco Prestia actually uses two fingers for fretting and the other two are for muting.

Not-so Famous Exmaples - My friend, who plays guitar, used to do that, but learned to use all four when trying to learn the riff to Crazy Train.

You choose what is right for you, but try all four before you decide ;)

3. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Thanks.

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    No problem, try to practice with four though, you will get to a point when you will need all four.

5. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I used to have a bad habit of not using the pinkey on my left hand but since I've taken lessons, man, it helps a ton. I pretty much use the one finger per fret and my speed has increased a lot for slapping. I agree with abark000 that using the pinkey will definitley help out.

6. ironmaidenisgod

ironmaidenisgod

May 20, 2004
    Hey man,I posted this a long time ago.I've pretty much learnt to use my pinky since then.