Using the pinky

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mooska, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Mooska

Aug 17, 2002
    I am straining to use my pinky but it just doesn't work and when ever I use my ring finger my pinky curls down below the neck. Are there any ways to work this problem out?
  2. :D

try this....
    it's an exercise in independence of the fingers. hold your hand in front of you with fingers curled. now, this is tough at first, but you will get it and it will help you....

extend (straighten) your 1st and 3rd fingers at the same time, then bring them back to the curled position.

then, straighten your 2nd and 4th fingers at the same time, then bring them back to the curled position.

repeat 1 & 3, 2 & 4..... etc. etc. etc.

this will help the independence of your fingers and once your pinky becomes independent, you will use it all the time and wonder how you ever got along without it!!!!!

3. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    You play each string Open, 1st fret(index), 2nd fret(middle), 3rd fret(ring), 4th fret(pinky), and so on till u hit the G string. Then you go backwards. Ex. 4, 3, 2, 1
    When you get to the G string you could always do the extension by ::move hand down fretboard:: going 5, 6, 7, 8, ::move hand down again:: 9, 10, 11, 12, 11, 10, 9 ::move hand back up:: and just play the whole thing backwards.

There are other exercises but I think this is the most basic one.
  4. Mooska

Aug 17, 2002
    My ring finger is strait but not with my hand. Is this alright or does it need to be even with my hand?
  5. If you say your pinky curls below the neck it sounds like that just has to do with the position you are holding your hand. You are probably playing with your wrist straight. Trying putting your thumb against the back of the neck, now curl your wrist towards you, this should spread your fingers out and make it easier to reach and use them independently. I hope that makes sense, it would be very easy to show you what I mean, but not quite so easy to explain it.
  6. Mooska

Aug 17, 2002
    Thats not my problem. It curls because it wants to use the same amount of force that my ring finger uses. Its like they are using the same muscle. When I put pressure on the ring finger the pinky curls up. Thats the only time it curls
  7. The only advice I can give you in that case is just practice a lot. Try using your pinky for playing basslines that you already know. See if you know any riffs that you would normally only use your index and middle fingers to play, now play the same riff using only your ring and pinky fingers. If you are sitting around doing nothing, put your palm flat against some surface and just practice lifting all of your fingers individually without moving any of the others. With a little practice I'm sure you can solve your problem in no time.
  8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Try using your ring finger and pinky together, index finger on one fret, middle finger on the next, ring and pinky on the next. This is a classic method of fingering used by double bass players and electric bass players.