Using toothpaste and a toothbrush to clean a bass neck before string change.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Fito Moreno, Feb 3, 2002.

1. Fito Moreno

Fito Moreno

Dec 8, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    For years I have always used toothpaste and a toothbrush to clean my neck(s) prior to replacing old strings. First use a damp cloth and run it down the neck then use the toothbrush w/ a little toothpaste and brush away use a dry towl to wipe away. Has anyone heard of this or is doing it themselves? It does seem to clean up allot of residue especially deep within the frets.

Music Man Stingray - Ernie Ball Signed by Mike Watt of Minutemen and Firehose

Thunderbird Custom - Gibson USA own by Chip Z'nuff of Enuff-Z-Nuff

Striker 700ST - Kramer

Custom 8 String Bass - Chris Sandoval Chicago, IL

The Grabber - Gibson USA

Victroy Standard - Gibson USA

HFB 590 - Samick

Hamer 12L - Hamer USA

My rig consists of Gallien-Kruger 800RB (Bi-Amped)Digitech Bass Harmony Machine - GHM4
    Hartke 210XL and 410BT
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nice Grabber you got there!
  3. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I have never heard of that before. What else have you used and how does it compare to the other techniques. Could you list all of your basses from left to right or something. Im a little off on one or two of 'em.
  4. A Fender, a Gibson, A MusicMan, an eight string, a twelve string... Are you trying for a complete set or something?

I have often used a toothbrush to clean something, usually my teeth or a chainsaw. I guess there's no reason not to use toothpaste when you do it.
  5. Toothpaste has bleach.. bleach + bass = :(
  6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Why are ya hiding the musicman?:(
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Never heard of using toothpaste before. Maybe someone in the Setup forum has? At any rate, that's where this thread is headed.
  8. I have never heard of using toothpaste, but a toothbrush could be useful. You would probably have to be carful with what you used toothpaste on. I have wenge fingerboards on my basses, and it is quite porous, which could make quite a mess. But I can't see the bleach comment being relevant. Typically baking soda is used in toothpaste, rather than sodium hypochlorite. If baking soda reacts with wood, then why aren't my cupboards falling apart?

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A lot of modern toothpastes are baking soda and hydrogen peroxide.

I've never heard of using toothpaste on wood. I've heard of using it to clean nickel tuning keys.
  10. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    And it gives that fresh minty taste!!!!
  11. yeah when u lick the fretboard......:rolleyes:

Wouldn't the toothpaste leave a residue?

12. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Yeah when you forget to rinse:rolleyes:
  13. Toothpaste doesnt have bleach. If it did would you use it to brush your teeth everyday. i wouldnt. I figure if it does a good job of cleaning your teeth it should work good for your fretboard. the only thing to consider is whether or not it dries out the wood.
  14. eheeheee take your bass to the Dentist.. "look doc, i don't think its brushing effectively"