1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using TV for a monitor for my Laptop

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Batmensch, Jun 19, 2014.

1. I would like to use my HD TV for a secondary monitor for my laptop. Both the TV and laptop have an HDMI port, is it simply a matter of using an HDMI cable with those and adjusting certain settings on my PC? Any advice on this?

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    In most cases, pretty much.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    The display toggle is usually on the top row somewhere. I find that sometimes, it takes a couple of tries to get it to work.

4. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Might come out wonky depending on what the native resolution on your TV and laptop screen are. Might get a better resolution on the TV if you disable the laptop screen and just fed all the signal to your TV. If dual screens is the goal though, it will work. Like elgecko said, be mindful of the Function keys on the top row, some of them will disable or enable you to do HDMI out on the monitor. Sometimes they'll push audio over the HDMI cable too!

5. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Check the resolution options for your computer- if you see 1920x1280, go for it.

What model of TV and computer? If they're new enough, you may be able to "cast" whatever is on the computer's screen directly to the TV, using DLNA.

6. Thanks guys, I'll keep all that in mind. Now all I have to do is get the cable.

7. Resolution on my PC (HP G72 notebook PC, fairly new, less than a year old) is 1600x900, TV is a Dynex 32LCD, about 4 or 5 yrs. old.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  8. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    You can try a VGA cable too a lot of TVs and computers have thy input.

9. Nope, no VGA, just HDMI.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If you're on Windows 7 or 8 (8.1 etc) when it's hooked up, just press the Windows key + P, and select either extend or mirror, depending on what you want to do. Other than that, should just be running the HDMI cable between the two. That laptop will drive a 1080p TV easily.

11. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    Do you have a Roku? They have apps that allow casting from a computer to it, so you can display on the TV.

1600x900 won't be a good fit on a TV but yes, an HDMI cable will work.

I wouldn't recommend using the computer on your lap- HDMI ports aren't particularly strong and if the cable stresses it, damage can result. This is one reason I'm not a fan of HDMI but the video quality should be very good.

12. ImNotJoel

ImNotJoel

Jan 12, 2014
    Connecticut
    I stand corrected.

13. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    I'm doing it right now Cliff - yep, grab an HDMI cable and go for it. Windows 7 actually recognized it(TV)....if I plug in a VGA cable for second monitor it recognizes that too. But most laptops only have one or the other. HDMI rocks!!

14. Again, thanks everyone.

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Do not do this.

You'll go back in time.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  16. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    You'd need 1.21 gigawatts (jigga-watts, that is!) of electricity for that! Anybody know some Libyans? :angel:

17. I use my laptop with my HDTV on occasion. Works great with HDMI. The video card in it will run two monitors/TV's so you can expand your on screen real estate. Very handy in my studio. I have two 26" monitors.

18. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    You might not even have to press any buttons. When I plug my laptop's HDMI cable in it detects it and sets it up automatically. I was very impressed. If you want it as a second monitor you will have to change the settings because I think by default it duplicates the display rather than creating a secondary monitor.

19. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    But, but, Batman had a crummy childhood after a certain point. Maybe he WANTS to go back to a happier time.:unsure:

20. I used to do this all the time with my laptop for movies and emulators and such, and I didn't even have a dedicated GPU or anything. It took a tiny bit of tweaking to get the resolutions right in extended mode, but its pretty easy to do, still pretty much plug n play. There was also the episode where my graphics drivers decided to stop working and finally resulted in a full factory restore to fix, but I have no idea what caused that. The only other issue is that my 1366x768 computer didn't like running 1080p even on a 1080 Tv without giving me a bunch of garbage when trying to watch a movie, but my laptop was far from a graphical powerhouse.