1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using two cabinets in a bi-amp config - does porting matter?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I just ordered a Carvin BR115 (front ported), and I was pondering if there was any difference if I mated it with a front ported or sealed cabinet on the high end of a bi-amp with my Carvin BX1200. I have an Avatar B410 neo (front) and an SWR Goliath II sealed cab.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No problem, but a full range cab will be at least twice as large as need be to only carry the upper end.

3. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks for the response Bill, but I am not quite sure I am understanding. Are you saying that I will only be using 50% of the capacity of the high end cabinet?

4. No - he's saying that if you are biamping you could get by with a smaller cabinet up top. The top cabinet is full range (read: big) and doesn't need to be for biamping.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Sort of. A 4x10 bass cab, for instance, puts four tens in a 6 cu ft or so box to deliver the bottom end. If it's only handling highs then you don't need four tens, two will do, and they don't need 1.5 cu. ft. of cab apiece, .5 cu ft is enough. For that matter they can be guitar tens.

6. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Since both Cabs are full range I am most likely just going to run them in stereo.