1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

USING TWO COMBO AMPS

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by leftybasswtf, Mar 6, 2008.

1. leftybasswtf

leftybasswtf

Mar 1, 2008
    Has anyone used two smallish combos together live? Did you just a cable splitter box? Do you think such a setup (maybe a 10" & 12" speaker) would "push enough air" for a mid sized gig?

I currently have a Carvin PB150 and want to get a Gallien Krueger MB150 combo amp. :bassist:

2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I used to use two combo amps together, but I had a line out on one of them that I tied to the next.

as far as volume....depends on the size of place, pa, ......etc

3. SmittyG

SmittyG

Dec 24, 2003
    Texarkana, Texas
    I did this for a bit when we had no monitors. I pointed one forward and one sidways across the stage as a side fill. Worked out well.

4. If you get the GK MB150, that'll have a line out, so you shouldn't need a splitter.

The question is, why own two small combos when you could possibly sell your existing one and just get something larger? You may have your reasons, just curious.

5. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    ive done this in a pinch aswell. i used an aby and slpit the signal. i think its a cool trick for effects and such

6. Farmer Dan

Farmer Dan

Feb 23, 2008
    Derry, NH
    I've been running a pair of Ampeg B100Rs together for a while now. I started with one, but added the second when I thought I needed more power.

It may sound dumb, but I run my bass into my tuner (BossTU2) and then run a line from each output into each amp. I've been meaning to get an ABY box, but this seems to work fine for me. The tuner kind of acts as a splitter.

I sometimes run a line out from one amp to the PA, but for most gigs, two 100-watt amps running together seems plenty powerful.

7. leftybasswtf

leftybasswtf

Mar 1, 2008
    Vandelay, I don't really have a great reason 'cept I'm in a small apt and another combo can fit under my puter table. Also, I always wanted a GK MB150 --it's light weight and the sound blew me away. I could probably use it for jams when my guitarist comes over. If I can use my amps together it would justify the purchase. I'm really into light weight setups.

Farmer Dan --I like this idea of use a tuner as a splitter --two birds with one stone!

8. StringThing

StringThing

Dec 6, 2007
    San Diego
    It will do exactly what you think it would do. Can be intresting. I biamp with a PodXT live sometimes and run the lows to a SVTIII pro Head and 18" cab and the highs to a workingman 15" with tweeter. (Not enough Bottom, and from a 15" ??) This is a case of utilizing the strengths of each cab. You can crossover effect on the PodXT too. Lot's of manual and trial and error.

9. Jim Powers

Jim Powers

Mar 19, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I run an Ampeg BA115HP in parallel with a BA210 using a Whirlwind A/B/Y floor switch and a Morley HumEliminator box to knock off a ground loop hum. I stack them to get a clearer sound "off the floor".

Attached Files:

10. ArpeggiFish

ArpeggiFish

Feb 24, 2008
    Paul Gilbert does it

11. bassman639

bassman639

Dec 23, 2006
    northeast ,pa
    i had a fender bassman 100 combo and a fender bassman200 and i stacked them, i ran a cord from the SEND on the MAIN combo to the return on the other,works great