1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Using two different cabinets, without crossover?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jsa0100, Sep 4, 2017.

1. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    When using two different cabinets like a 15" and a 2x10" shouldn't there always be a crossover between the two? I am asking, because in PA, letting the subs work full range usually sound bad because the sub and the top speaker will interact in the upper bass and the mid range.

2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    No. This is bass not PA.

My Mesa 115 EV and 210 EV stack successfully ran full range through both cabs.Each cab bringing its own sound to the party.

3. jsa0100

jsa0100

Apr 6, 2005
    Norway
    So changing and using a stereo power-amp and a electronic crossover doesn't necessarily give a huge improvement in sound quality?

4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Not unless your cabs are loaded with speakers designed/voiced for this purpose. But most modern bass cabs are designed to be full-range, whether they contain 10s, 12s, or 15s, so there really isn't any benefit of sending lows to one cab and highs to another. If you're going to use two cabs, your best bet is to match them: e.g., a pair of 1x15s or a pair of 2x10s (in a vertical array).

5. If you run two bass cabs like that you cart a hell of a lot of gear for the loudness of only one cab. I have done it for fun and then stopped doing it.

Lobster11 likes this.