Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using Two Preamps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanctum, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Would it be possible to use two preamps? I have an Eden Navigator that I love, and someone just gave me an Ampeg BSP - what I'm wondering is if I could use the dirty channel of the BSP through the effects loop of the Eden, or something like that.

Why? Because its there :)

Greg

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Or you could pass the savings along! Other than that, I do not know.

3. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    As long as you use balance Ins/Outs, I don't see why you couldn't use multiple preamps.. it just might sound a bit bad.. or good..

or something..

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    OK, serious time. The dirty channel on the BSP is footswitchable on/off right? I would think just run the pre in the loop as you said, and use the footswitch to add the distortion. I dont know that balanced cables are really nessacary(sp?). We're only running about 6" right?

5. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Hey Sanctum,

Quick question for ya:

What cabinets do you use with your Rack Systems?

How much do you like the Eden Navigator?

What other amps have you owned?

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

6. I use two Eden Cabs, 1x15XLT and 2x10XLT
    I love the Nav
    I've owned Ampeg SVT3-Pro before

7. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Cool.....

I own Eden's D-210XLT and D-115XLT too.

As well as a D-410XLT.

Power with a QSC PLX2402

Preamp is a Trace-Elliot GP12SMX and I use a Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver D.I. with it too.

I already have a buyer for the Trace.

I guess I really have only one choice for a preamp replacement huh?

Cheers,

-Chris

8. Na you have plenty of choices ... but the Eden is the smart one :)

Now, can anyone answer my question? :p

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I say go for it. Why not? Try it out and if it sounds good use it, if not . . .

I use an eq pedal before my preamp, that's sorta like 2 preamps. You could use a stereo poweramp and run each of your cabs with its own independent preamp.

10. I thought about that as well, as I do have a stereo poweramp. Then I got lost as to where to acutally plug the bass into and what to route to where.

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Maybe an ABY box, or just a Y cable?

12. an interesting concept, now who's going to carry my rack around for me :)

Actually, couldnt i go bass -> Eden -> effects out -> BSP main in

then out from Eden to amp and out from BSP to amp?

13. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    As long as the Eden doesn't want a return, sure. You have 2 signals, 2 pre's, get 2 amps, and you have a backbreaker!

14. bassballs27

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Okay, here's my contribution.

Try this.....

Pick out one bass.

Plug your Eden Preamp into your power amp as you normally would. Play it for about 15 min max. Then, do the same with your Ampeg BSP (by itself).

Okay, now, here's the kicker.....plug your bass directly into your P.A. .....what do you hear? Your bass "uncoloured" or at least close to uncoloured (the power amp can add a teensie bit of colouration...but most likely not)

Now, plug your BSP into the Effects loop of the Eden (side chain or stereo) (Give that a shot for 5 min of so) Then, try running a cable from the output of your Eden to the input on the front of the ampeg......

Now you can see what your preamp actually does to your sound........

Listen for the configuration that suits YOU best.

It's YOUR preamp.....we're not playing it for you dude.

Good luck

-Chris
    A Canadian Bass Player

15. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    And THEN Pass those savings on!!:D

16. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've actually struggled with this same idea before, and while the rig I was thinking of is different from yours, you might get some ideas from my ideas.

First, I have an SWR Redhead and an IOD. I can use the IOD preamp as an "effect" by running it through my SWR combo and using a footswitch. Therefore, I get the clean of the Redhead and the dirty of the IOD. Problem-the unit was not designed to be used an "effect" and I don't think it sounds nearly as good when used as a dedicated preamp!

Second option was designed around a new rig that I was thinking of getting...based on a Steward 2.1 preamp. I wanted something much more portable and powerful, so I was as one point considering the following rig:

Steward 2.1
    SWR IOD
    Kern
    Lehle A/B Box

This way I could plug into the A/B, run one side to the Kern (powered by one side of the 2.1) and run the other side to the SWR IOD (powered by the other side of the 2.1). You could then add speaker cabs to taste, and simply switch back and forth between solid state clean, tube distortion, or a combo of both. This is the rig I would have right now if it weren't so expensive! :( Hope that responds to your original question and that it give you ideas of what you might be able to do.

Go Cardinals (for 2003)
    JPJ

17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    people often use another preamp with their head to give it warmth or distortion. John paul jones uses the IOD along with his sm 900's and uses both EQ's....
    i say go for it but put one through the effects loop of the other if at all possible...