Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using two rigs like Muse/Rage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by schmoove, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Ok bass-heads, I need your help!

Until now I've been running my three distortion pedals (Woolly Mammoth, Big Muff, Prunes n Custard) through a Boss LS-2 and mixing the effects signal with a clean signal, which then goes into a Sansamp RBI preamp and a Mesa Bass 400+. It works great, but it's often difficult to hear the effects in the mix when the whole band's playing, I think because it's all getting crammed into the same rig and it's mainly the lows that cut through the mix.

I read in some bass mags about how Chris from Muse and Tim from Rage ran their setups, with a main rig for clean stuff, and a combo for effects - and I'm quite intrigued by the possibilities with this. Does anyone else run a similar set up?

I was thinking of getting a Marshall B65 and sitting it on top of my rig, run a separate clean signal from the RBI, thru the distortions and then into the B65.
    Problem is I really like the combined signal the LS-2 gives me at the moment, it's just not cutting it live.

Any ideas? sorry bout the long post

Ryan

Battle Circus
    www.battlecircus.com

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Get a tube guitar amp for the distorsion, and use your Mesa for the lows.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I would try taking the RBI out of the signal path and putting your FX into the FX loop on the 400+. This is the way I run my rig with a GT-6B and I can actually do Muse and Rage pretty well on it.

4. simic

simic

Oct 6, 2005
    I ran an ampeg 8 - 10 cabinet with my svt 4pro for my main rig that ran clean, and used a few effects (stuff like a small stone, a bassballs etc...) and had an old sovtek mig 50 guitar head that I got really cheap running through a hartke cabinet that i had swapped the blown hartke fifteen out for an eminence kappa pro 15 for distortion and some effects made for guitar that work better without all the low end. I grabbed a cheap electroharmonix "switchblade" pedal off ebay to switch between the two. It sounded great, and the kappa 15 was plenty loud enough, and handled a range of tone decently. The only problem was that it was just too much foot work to remember--I got myself into trouble quite a few times not remembering to switch back and forth and so on. Also, that was just way too much gear to haul around for one instrument.

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004

i think the dude from death from above 1979 does this...