Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using ur Nail as a pick...Larry graham style

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Chili, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    Does anybody have any good tips on how to get started with this, i was waching an instruction video with larry graham, but he doesnt really show u how to do it, he just plays if u want me to stay, and sed he doesnt like to use a pic so he used his nail, i can get a sound when i do it, but it doesnt have that same effect as when larry does it, does anybody use this tech??

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I do, but only for short periods of time. I really don't have any insight except to suggest that you act like you are holding a pick but strike with whatever part of your nail you feel most comfortable. Just be careful. One gig I developed a nasty blister on one of my picking fingers and played a fairly aggressive tune with my nail to avoid the pain. I ended up wearing through the nail, causing even greater pain.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I don't think its a good idea, but thats just me...thats gonne get painful after a while.

Can fingenails develope the same thing as calouses? 0.o

4. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    first, I agree, it can get painful pretty quickly, especially if you want his sound. I think the main thing Larry does to get his sound that most of us don't do (especially since we're taught to do just the opposite) is that he attacks the hell out of the strings. He hits em hard and with authority.

I have never bothered to see if the pain goes away with practice, as it's not a technique I've seen a big use for. YMMV.

5. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    I am used to hitting the strings hard with my finger style or when slap popin, oh and ur nail wearin through, now that sounds painful, Do you's rest ur thumb on ur finger when doin it?

6. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    The little bit I've played around with the technique, yes, I rest my thumb against my finger, like I'm holding a pick