Using US equipment in UK

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassbloke, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. bassbloke


    Feb 26, 2002
    I think I can source a Sansamp RBI much cheaper in the US than in the UK. What would be the implications for using it with a UK power supply? Would I need a transformer or adaptor of some sort? (Apologies for dumb question but I really am incredibly ignorant about anything technical).
  2. miccheck1516

    miccheck1516 Guest

    Feb 15, 2003
    im not sure about your electrical problem but, i was thinking of getting a carvin, they seem cheap but you need to consider shipping, insurance etc
    If you are getting the thing sent over you would be better just getting it over here.......
  3. baggpuss


    May 28, 2003
    Hull, UK
    dude.... if the pre amp is mains powered then you will indeed need a transformer to get down to 110 volts ( ish ).. if its a DC adaptor then you will be fine with the UK equivilent. however if it comes with an adapter that will be no good for use in this country, you will need to buy the equivilant in the UK..
    hope that helps
  4. wulf


    Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I think the shipping is worth considering - it would be a shame to ignore more local sources, wait two months and then find that there are unexpected bills slapped on top that take it to above the UK price... and even more so if the unit turned out to be faulty and damaged.

    I don't know what the price difference is but make sure you allow for hidden costs - it's not as easy as £X = $Y.

  5. bassbloke


    Feb 26, 2002
    Appreciated guys - the price difference is £315 (local price) v around £195 (including shipping) so it really is a substantial saving. My thoughts are that at that price I can try it out and resell quickly at a minimal or no loss, whereas if I source locally I'll lose at least £100 on a re-sell.
  6. Toasted


    May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    if you need an AC transformer this will acuse you problems. i looked into it too and the kind of hi-amp hi-voltage low-resistance trasformers you need dont come cheap. it could be well worth checking how many amps the sans amp uses and if its more than (uh im dregding memory here) 30 amps then your transformer is going to cost £100 +
  7. CS


    Dec 11, 1999
    If the item is powered by a wallwart type adapter simply get an UK one. Some items have an adjustable power supply (like the Eden WT's I checked). I suggest you check cos as our toasted friend stated changing the internal stuff could be a pain.
  8. Check if it's adjustable. My ampeg SVP has a switch on the back for 110 or 230 volts.
  9. rok51

    rok51 Supporting Member

    Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Please. I would hope that there are equivalent pieces of gear on the "Continent" to what we have Stateside. I agree, that we are blessed with a large variety of gear at various price-points, but to be honest...a lot of that gear is manufactured overseas. I cannot imagine that your local stuff isn't as good as our local stuff. Here's hoping, anyway!

  10. alexclaber

    alexclaber Commercial User

    Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    The market is so much smaller over here that the prices are much higher. For instance, a QSC PLX 3002 sells for over £1000 new here (lists at £1500) whilst I can buy a new one off ebay for $700, have it shipped it to the factory for 230v conversion and then ship it over here for a total cost of $850, i.e. just over £500.

    If you can be bothered it's well worth importing gear from the USA.