1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using UV to speed up nitro curing time....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Cieran, May 1, 2010.

1. Cieran

Cieran

Aug 24, 2009
    UK
    I have just finished my first nitro respray and I am now patiently waiting for the finish to properly cure so I can sand, buff, reassamble and finally play!

From what I have read the average curing time is 30+ days especially in a not so warm climate such as the UK. I have also read that using UV lamps or even hairdryers can help speed up the process, which would be great as I have a massive hydroponic UV lamp sitting unused.

However the Behlen's brand of nitro which I used says that "They are very resistant to colour fade from UV exposure" so i'm not even sure this would work.

Does anyone have any experience speeding up nitro curing times - especially the UV route, or do I just need to be patient and wait the 30+ days?

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Behlen's warning implies that the wood will change color less as the nitro will act as a UV filter.