1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Using VFB-2 as a whammy blender

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Oreomeister365, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Se perhaps you've seen the whammy blender, which lets you blend whatever you have in the wet/dry outputs of a whammy together. I have a vfb-2 and have a whammy on the way regardless so I'll find out in a few days, but I wonder if I could do the same thing with it. I'd just use the input on the vfb-2 for the wet signal and the return jack on the fx loop of the vfb for the dry signal.

So the vfb-2 takes the signals from the input and the return and mixes them together, would this be able to work even if the vfb has nothing going out the effects send? I'm thinking here if it works like an amps effects loop and the return still works even with nothing in the send, then this should be the same thing eh? I guess I'll find out, I mean in my head it works perfectly, I'm going to assume that all the most complex "blending" part just takes those two signals and mixes them together regardless of the send loop, but maybe it auto bypasses it if theres nothing in the send of the fx loop, which would be unfortunate. Curious if anyone has tried this. If I had a signal splitter and well, my only bass wasn't getting repaired I'd try it out right now...

2. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    or, you could run your bass into the barge input and the whammy in the effects loop...

3. Well, not quite, you see, I want to put certain effects in both the wet/dry outputs of the whammy and don't want to blend them together until the end of their respective chains. At first I had in mind an elaborate 2 chain custom vfb and another control to blend the 2 chains together, but this would do the exact same thing and I'm getting the whammy anyways...

4. I guess to simplify: would the vfb still function the same if the signal sent to the receive was not from the send on that very unit?

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Certainly. No prob. It's a splitter and a mixer, but the two functions are not married.

6. Awesome, exactly what I was hoping for. This'll work out even more perfectly than I could have hoped when I got it.

7. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    +1. Even if they did, which they don't, a dummy jack is cheap.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    You can but it would be a waste of it's features you would be much better off picking up a passive blender that is like 1/5 the price we see them on Ebay Uk all the time. As both signals out of the unit are buffered you won't have a problem using a passive blender

9. If I didn't already have one, I'd take your advice.

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well that's different then ;)

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You have to stop telling people to get passive blenders. You're causing treble loss and impedance issues all around the world :p

12. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    If your using a Whammy your tone sucks enough that these issues are the least of your problems

:spit:

:bag:

13. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Fair play :)