1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

using xenyx 302 USB for recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Mybikeisblack, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Alright, picked this thing up for simple recording. Has anyone used one for this purpose? I see they're pretty new products but with that, I'm having issues. Any PC software recommended for this? I have audacity, and recording works with it but adding effects or "amp simulator" type stuff isn't on there or I just don't see it. I have a svt7pro, would it be possible to plug that from the DI on the head to the mic in on the mixer? I'm fairly new to this type of stuff so any input is helpful. Thanks.

2. Audacity doesn't offer much in terms of Signal processing and much of what it does is applied directly to the audio file itself (Destructive Editing) It would be a good idea to get yourself a copy of a proper DAW software like Reaper or Cubase.

Using your Amps DI is a good idea and it will work better than onnecting straight into the mixer, as the mixer doesn't have a built in Instrument Input.

3. I have some minor experience with cakewalk, is this a good one?

4. Can you record with Cakewalk? Cakewalk does accept plug-ins, you need to get amp-sim plug-ins. Reaper, as Hellbastard suggested is a very good DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), alot of us use it but if you're more comfortable with Cakewalk stay with it. There are alot of free amp-sims on the web, some are better than others. start here to sample a few:
    GERSIC.COM free audio plugin database