Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Using your XLR output to drive an amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seansbrew, Sep 17, 2005.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    How many of you use your XLR output to drive a power amp? For some reason this does not seem to be the accepted method, unless I am missing something. I cannot afford to spend any money at the moment, however, I need more power. I have an SWR SM-500 and a QSC PLX 1602 that I want to use together. The only way to do that is to hook the XLR output of the SM 500 to the input of the QSC. Is the balanced signal of my SM 500 ok for the input of a slave power amp? I am in need of more power for my Schroeder cabs.

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    useing XLR is fine as long as you have volume control over the signal. some xlr outputs are a fixed volume and that would not usually work out unless the output voltage with the cab efficiency and resistance seem to work out for the room your in.

3. That works fine on a power amp. I'm pretty sure your QSC power amp has a combination xlr-trs input connector for each channel too (mine does). If it's not the first choice it is only because most people run a preamp which has unbalanced 1/4 inch outs leaving the balanced DI feed for FOH. This wouldn't be a problem for you anyway because you can run a parallell out from the channel input you are not using on your QSC.

Like Mcrelly said check to see if the master volume has an affect on your DI. Also make sure you can use your tone controls. Obviously if there is a pre/post EQ switch set it to post.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I run my QSC Balanced from a SWR Grand Prix....it's definatly the way to go for me.

My SM500 has a Line/Direct level switch and a PAD on the XLR out....you should be good to go.

5. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Thanks for the info.

6. I run my QSC(s) bi-amped, using the balanced XLR from my SWR IOD.