Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

USO Tours

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by BMGecko, Mar 20, 2006.

1. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Dear folks,

I was just wondering of anyone here has played in a band that went on a USO Tour. I had thought about it in the past, as I have previously been in the military, and got to be entertained by people who came to Al Jaber Air Base in Kuwait back in '98.

I figure it would be a good opportunity for a band to take, if accepted, for things such as travel, constant gigging, pay, and of course... Entertaining some realy good people!

Anybody with experience like to share?
    BMG

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Sounds like something I'd like to try, but I shiver thinking of taking a DB into some of those climates!

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I did a similar tour with MWR about 15 years ago. We did all the bases in Japan and Korea.

I woudn't trust MWR too far, though. We were on our own once we hit the ground, short of a great Korean driver provided us.

4. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    MWR is worthless. I was in the 10tm Mtn Div Band and we played in Bosnia and MWR did everything they could to be a total PITA. They did not wan't us there because they couldn't tell us what to do. They prefer civilian acts and the troops may as well for all I know. USO is a great thing. Do it if you can. It can be a very lonely feeling to be deployed on the other side of the earth and it is nice when folks come to preform for you there.

5. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    My band's leaving tomorrow on a USO Tour through Germany and the middle east - including Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, etc. Really looking forward to it!

http://www.myspace.com/blackoutthursday

Pics and such when we get back.

6. I'm about to leave for a MWR tour of Korea, China, and Japan. I'm looking forward to giving back for the troops.

The artist I'm playing for did AFE last time, but the MWR is similair from what I understand.
    I'm not sure how they're compensating him, but I'm getting a fair weekly salary.

www.fredshafer.com

Thanks,
    Scott