USPS vs. FedEx For Shipping Large Item

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Sep 4, 2017.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I need to ship a tuba I sold on Ebay, just finished packaging it in a 34x20x15 box, weighs about 26 lbs. The shipping fee is about the same for both USPS Priority and FedEx Home Delivery (USPS is $5 more). What service would you trust more in regards to package handling/potential damage?

2. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    Personally, I'm sure the nationwide odds are about the same. But if it were my tuba I'd use USPS. I've had nothing but bad luck with FedEx and their contracted drivers. Nothing gives more confidence then seeing a rental uhaul truck pull up and a guy in a flannel shirt gets out and distributes your packages wherever they may fall.

MJ5150 and PolkaHero like this.
  3. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    What about damage claims? I'd had good luck with USPS in the past, never filed a claim with FedEx though.

4. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    fedex

TOOL460002 likes this.
  5. I have always had better luck with UPS.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Put your box inside of another, corner protected, padded, extra thick cardboard box. IMO, that's your insurance, before the fact.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    USPS, here.

8. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    In the past I used FedEx because it was them or UPS and UPS could not deliver a package to me with any consistency. That was my fault because we never got mail at home so we were not in the USPS database which is what UPS uses to find customers, but FedEx never had any problem finding us and would drive up into the woods and deliver right to the front door. The best UPS ever did was drop things down by the road, when they didn't drop it across town, at my neighbors, or some other random spot.

These days I've been using USPS and have had nothing but great good luck with them as long as I get tracking on my packages either sending or receiving. I've had an SWR Workingpro 12 combo amp delivered to my post office box, a couple of 112 cabinets, several basses, and more small parts than I can remember.

My only advice would be to make sure your package can have a lot of junk stacked on it and not collapse because it will spend a lot of time in a truck that is loaded to be most efficient which means the big stuff on the bottom. I use either thick shipping boxes or double up if I can't find a heavy wall box.

PolkaHero likes this.
  9. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Decided to go with USPS Priority, thanks for the suggestions!

10. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I make and ship custom baseball bats - done it for over a decade. I like USPS Priority Mail.

11. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Can you make one for me from ziricote, cocobolo, birdseye maple, and BRW?

12. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Anything is possible... ;)

13. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Last time I bought cabs FedEx did a stellar job so for now I would choose them.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021