Usualy not too fond of headless, but this is gorgeous

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Normally, I wouldn't give a headless bass a second look, until this popped up on ebay.

I'm not familiar with Westone basses though, are they any good? Yes, that is my opening bid in case you are wondering. ;)
  2. hmm, it sure looks sweet!
  3. I've never liked headless neither... but OMG!

that bass is beautiful! I wonder how it sounds
  4. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    i once heard westones described as the 'volvo of basses' :)

the westones i've played have been solid dependable instruments - nowt special, but good players. i gigged with mine for years and never had any trouble (gave it to a friend eventually).

i'd say go for it.
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Looks like a cool instrument, I used to have a Pantera model Westone guitar, it was good quality.

I'd recommend getting some input from the seller on this one though. I was watching it the last time they sold it on ebay. Those are the same pictures from the last auction (I recognize the girl at the end of the sideways picture. What is she doing anyway?), and it looked like it sold a few months back. Unless the bidder flaked, something's fishy...

I'd ask if that's the same seller as the last time the bass was offered. If so, I'd find out why it's resurfacing now. Maybe it was a non-paying bidder, and everything's copacetic...but I'd be a little wary.

The other possibility is that this is the previous auction winner, and he doesn't like the bass...
    that's something to consider too.
  6. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Is it me, or do the output jack,switches and most of the screws on this look ..... corroded??
    :confused: :confused:
  7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have two WestOne The Rails - also headless. They use the same bridges, and these bridges suck. Expect to pay up to $120 to replace them with something dependable that works. Otherwise, good bass for the money....but I wouldn't pay more than $250-$300 for it.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

FWIW - Westone is a brand name used by a Japanese company Matsumoku (sp?). From the 60's to the late 80's they made Westones, Epiphones, Arias and others. In the late 80's, a Korean company took over the name.

I don't know about the Korean jobs, but the few basses I've seen made by the Japanese company were in the "okay-for-the-money" category, IMO.

Embellisher has a Westone in his stable.
  9. looks like she's just fixing her hair...
  10. What color is it... purple or orangish-red?

In some pictures it looks purple, in others its a more orange color...
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As Rickbass said, I have one of these. It is a Quantum, which is more like the Steinberger XL in bodystyle.

Brooks, I have had no problem with the bridge on the first Quantum I owned, or this one, which I've had for a couple of months.

12. too bad the geezer is too lazy to clean / polish his bass before taking pictures.. what a slob ! :D