Usul likes MM Stingrays!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Usul, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Got to try two at GC today when I was there.I was surprised....hard to tell the sound quality(TONS of pplz there playing)but the feel is really nice! The neck is a weeee bit thicker than I am used to but overall a VERY nice instrument...uh IMHO.

The only thing that was wierd to me was having to place my thumb on the single pup near the bridge when I hit the E string. Usually I play on the p pup near the neck of my ergodyne...but I could definately adapt!!! Hmmmmm...the Ric may have some competiton when I go new bass shopping! ;)
  2. If the Stingray neck is a bit big for you, try out the Musicman Sterling. The Sterling has a smaller neck (and thus a narrower string spacing), slightly different electronics, and I believe also a slightly smaller body than the Ray.

Both are excellent basses.
  3. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Agree w/everything Steamboat said, in fact, I bought a Sterling after owning a Ray for ten days, but nothing SOUNDS like a Stingray. I just couldn't deal with the neck profile.
  4. agreed. neck profile is a bit on the chunky side... took me a month or so to get used to it and I have big hands & long fingers, but now i couldnt go back to a thinner neck.

Stingrays lok nicer than Sterlings (IMO) the chrome cavity cover is niiiice.
  5. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I had a 98 Stingry, It was a awesome bass but the neck was a bit on the chunky side for me so I sold it and bought a 77 MusicMan Stingray and the neck is a little less beefier than the Ernies and the tone is to die for.
  6. I take you've all seen the Namm aniversary ltd edition stingrays...ooh baby come to pappa!!

Inca silver with a full graphite neck.... OOOh I really, really want one...
  7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I got to play one! :D Sadly, the one I got to play isn't for sale. According to what I understand, there were only 50 made, and Bass Central (where I had the privelege) got 2. One sold in a matter of minutes, the other is going to remain in the store indefinitely. Interesting bass, it's built like the original Music Man's, string through bridge with the mutes and all.

Oh, and Usul, if you ever get serious about getting a 'Ray or it's lil' bro the Sterling (my favorite), give the guys at Bass Central a call. There are usually about 50-75 of them in stock, so any color you want is usually available right away. They also generally have quite a few used ones in excellent condition, usually so good that if you weren't told they were used, you'd swear they were new. Save some big bucks going used.
  8. yeah, i knew there was somethnig else cool about it, but i forgot... gutted, they look so cool with the black neck & fret board...

The string mutes sounds like a good idea to me, I presume you a get a really muffled vintage style sound with short decay...
  9. The string mutes don't do that much, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, yes, stingrays = GOOD!

I love the big chunky neck, the extreme brightness of that massive pickup, the headstock with its 3+1 configuration, the 3 band EQ....DROOL...

Umm, sorry. Yes, the MM stingray is a good bass.

10. IMO the best thing about the Ray is the sheer power in the sound... the notes just boom and bounce around. by cutting the treble and boosting the bass you can really move some air!!! Trouser wobbling stuff for sure!

and they look great, although no-one likes to admit it actually matters.//
  11. I hope I'm not posting in the wrong place,but here I go: I'm interested in selling my StingRay.It's gotten too heavy for me and I would like to get a Roscoe instead.My StingRay is like new and I want to sell it plus case for about $1,000 .I know that sounds like alot for a"used" instrument,but this baby is well taken care of.Please let me know what you think...Am I asking too much or should I go soak myself? Thanks...
  12. Yeah, i love both Spectors and Stingrays. Spectors i like more, but i think that my next bass is going to be a Stingray 5 freltess, the piezo option is still debatable.
  13. rooster

Jun 10, 2000
    upstate new york
    great guitar can't go wrong fingerstyle or pick.they have a very in your face tone.i never played a regular stingray i own an anniversary model beautiful guitar if your into quilted maple.check it out i also just custom ordered a G&L asat bass its been 12 weeks so far oh well another 7 weeks to go because of the gold for the neck it takes a little getting used to but after awhile feels like home also playing with a pick is another thing you have to get used to because the strings are so wide.but worth it in the end.good luck on your quest :D

and remember as alway's rock till ya drop !!!!
  14. neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    MrFortuneCookie, I'd highly suggest the piezo option. Lot's of folks claim that the Stingray is a "one trick pony" and I can somewhat see their point with the non piezo equipped basses. The piezo pickup open up a whole new, rich world of tone. I've found that when I pan slightly off center toward the piezos (soundwise about 3/5ths piezo, 2/5ths magnetic p/u) SINGS. This would be especially effective on a fretless. Try one out at the store before you decide against it.
  15. Well, i'll definately keep in mind what you just said. I was leaning towards piezo. Anyways, it'll be awhile before i end up getting my next bass since i just got the spector and all, but yeah, i probably wouldn't use the money for a piezo on a fretted, but on a fretless, that's another story.
  16. £1000 hmmm. - how old is it?

If it's not "vintage" then I'd say that's too much... you can get one new for less (£973 for the basic modela from the bass centre in london.

if i'm selling something i alwasy check out, and ebay for relative prices.

I wouldnt pay a grand for a 2nd hand, non vintage Stingray... I'd expect to pay £800 to £900 maximum - depending on the model. (if it's got a piezo, coloured headstock etc then I'd go up to £900).
  17. I guess a grand is steep,but I really need the cash to put as part of a down payment for a Roscoe. I'll probably come down in price,considering this StingRay isn't vintage.
  18. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Hey Willie D. I used to have a Roscoe. It was a
    great bass! I just called and went by his shop
    one day (I live 2 hours from him). He is a very nice guy. I must have spent 2 hours in his shop. I picked out a couple of un-finished bodies that I liked. I called him back a few days later and ordered my Roscoe. I kept it for a couple of years. But I had to sell it to fund my Fodera. I wish I could have kept both. I really liked my Roscoe...
    it's somewhere in Oregon now.
  19. Sounds like deja vu all over again.Wish I could keep the Ray but my old age is catching up to me.The darn thing is getting too heavy!!!
    Oh well,somebody else is gonna enjoy our basses.Oh yeah...before I forget,the Music store in my area(Alpha Music) just got in another Roscoe.It's a 6 string SKB with a Roscoe Red quilted maple finish.I'm not courageous enough to own anything more than a 4 banger,but looking at that beauty got me hooked!!!!
  20. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Willie, I got my SKB 3005 last week <drool> I will do a review under an appropriate thread after spending more time with it. But initially, I like it very much. I don't see much tone difference with the non slanted pickups, but it is lighter than my myrtlewood LG 3005. It is Spanish Cedar (more acoustical, woody sounding). I understand the ash bodied ones are even lighter with more attack and edge. If my LG 3005 gave you GAS, wait until you get a load of this one!