1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

UUGGHHH master, slave, and cable select!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by beyondhairy, Mar 8, 2008.

1. switched out an old hard drive for this new one, old one was set to slave, so i set the new one to slave, and now neither of them are showing up when i boot up...

help :(

2. I thought this thread was going to be about bondage computers...

I was disappointed :(

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Where on the cable are you putting the hard drive? Did you add a second cable to go with on the second ATA slot on the motherboard?

4. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Be sure you're using the same connection on the cable.

5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Most of the time it should work to select "Cable select"

If not, the primary hdd cable should go to the master hdd, and the secondary to slave.

If you have two hdd's on the same cable, to top one should be master the other one slave. (if I recall correctly)

6. the only thing i changed was the hard drive, everything else was the same, so it should sitll work...

i have 3 hdds, main one is on its own ide cable, the other 2 share an ide cable/ribbon the first one was master and the second was slave.... i also changed it to cable select and nothing...

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    SCSI is the answer

/geek

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    F it. Just get an external.

9. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    A few things:

1) If both hard drives are on the SAME cable, then one drive should be set to Master and the other to Slave.

2) If each hard drive is on it's OWN cable (and each cable goes to its own input channel) then both hard drives should be set to Master.

3) Some newer hard drives with greater capabilities than the motherboard can easily recognize (capacity or speed) may not show up properly unless they're set in a certain way. You have to make sure that the whole chain from hard drive --> cable --> input channel --> motherboard --> BIOS is physically compatible and also set properly.

The best way to diagnose a problem with two hard drives is to try them independently of each other and make sure they work by themselves (set each as master) before trying to get them to work together. Also try each on both the primary and secondary channels.

10. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    By "not showing up" do you mean in the BIOS or your operating system?

11. operating system... didnt check bios yet...

and thanks hbarcat i knew about point 1 and 2...but im gana try to set both to master and see what happens... but i know they both work, the first one is one iv been using for years, and i just plugged the new one in on its own to do some transfering from the one i removed....

hmmm i think i just got a couple idea.... let me shut down againa nd try a couple things out and i'll get back to you guys....

12. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    If it's recognized in the BIOS, they're connected fine. Does the drive show up in your device manager?

13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Oh. That's the first thing you should always do--check during start up to make sure the motherboard/BIOS knows the hard drive is there.

We all eagerly await to find out which it is....

14. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If your devices support cable select, then you ought to be able to change some dip switches on your mobo to say "my devices support cable select" set all your devices to "cable select" and be done with it.

But probably the best long term thing to do is upgrade to a computer that supports SATA.

15. flakeh

flakeh Banned

Apr 21, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I thought this was a bondage thread. Get me all excited about the new 2008 lines of whips.